My latest desktop build.

If you mean anything other than my microphone working, yeah, I've never needed it. Mic works fine without any sound daemon.
You never noticed "how to record sound from applications?" questions on this very forums? Possible use cases: recording all sides of a voice chat conversation (not just your mic), getting sound for VNC/RDP session.

Looks like that doesn't require a sound daemon either:
I'd rather deal with PulseAudio than ALSA plugins honestly.

Great, now audio plugins and written for even more interfaces...
The important part is that OSS doesn't have any plugin interfaces.

You never noticed "how to record sound from applications?" questions on this very forums? Possible use cases: recording all sides of a voice chat conversation (not just your mic), getting sound for VNC/RDP session.
Never had a need to do that, not even at work. Hard to tell how many like me there are, because we don't complain, on account of we don't have a problem.

The important part is that OSS doesn't have any plugin interfaces.
But JACK does, and it works with OSS.

Well, I gave an explanation why PipeWire exists and what's the rationale for having a FreeBSD port (by the way, it's WIP — doesn't really function properly yet). I don't really care what anyone feels about it.

Sure, and I still don't understand why we need a third sound daemon at all since JACK has handled all the advanced use cases for decades.

I also don't see why the complexities of any sound daemon have to be forced upon the majority of users who just want sound to work. Especially since these daemons are complex to configure and, in the case of Pipewire, flaky and incomplete.

The idea (audio + video in the same pipeline) has some merit, assuming that works without issues. Would be too much to retrofit on top of any existing solution.

Yeah, I'll admit I don't know enough about that area to have a useful opinion. The only thing that makes me a little hesitant to embrace it is the old Unix principle of do just one thing and do it well. It could very well be that this is one of those cases where "one thing" is audio + video, though.

Yeah, I'll admit I don't know enough about that area to have a useful opinion. The only thing that makes me a little hesitant to embrace it is the old Unix principle of do just one thing and do it well. It could very well be that this is one of those cases where "one thing" is audio + video, though.
I think modern developers go by "Try to do many things and succeed half the time."

Back