My latest desktop build.

This is my latest desktop build. My son is playing assault cube on FreeBSD 13.2

The internals are a Dell Optiplex 790 MT with an i3 and two 3TB Sata drives striped in zroot.

The GPU is a Radeon 7470 converted to HDMI and into a converter for HDMI to VGA. The display is a 17" Impression 7 running at 1280x1024. Speakers are creative SBS10. The keyboard is Dell and I forgot the model lol. The zip drive, CD-ROM drive and fd drive are not used. They are just for looks. The mouse, not pictured, is a white Logitech G203 gaming mouse set to green.

Note about the picture. My son is playing offline no bots. He's not shooting up bad guys just running around the map testing the system. I do let my kids play world of padman where they shoot each other with paint balls and water guns. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_173603_2~2.jpg
    IMG_20230531_173603_2~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
Please don't let your son work with that monitor. CRT monitors are the enemy of the eyes and cause serious damage to his eyes, replace it with a LED or LCD monitor anti-radiation glasses are also very useful and almost it prevents astigmatism of the eyes.

For real? I had no idea. My main system uses a CRT as well. My kids have laptops though. I was letting him test this one.

I have a massive ton of monitors. Only four of them are CRT though. So my kids don't use the CRT displays.

Actually, they do have a wii and a pacman game and another system that use CRT tvs. But they don't spend too much time on those.

Yes. I had computer since I was 5 years old and worked with these stupid monitors. If you don't believe me, please do some research on this mater. These monitors are one of the main causes of astigmatism! I'm one of the victims! and now my eyes are severely astigmatized and I can't work on a computer without glasses. for the love of god if you love your son throw that garbage away! Your son is too young and I hate to see kids hurt.

Alright. I will change them all out for some lcd displays. Makes me sad though. They're so cool. Lol actually I'll do tons of research and then replace as needed. 😊

I have a massive ton of monitors. Only four of them are CRT though. So my kids don't use the CRT displays.

Actually, they do have a wii and a pacman game and another system that use CRT tvs. But they don't spend too much time on those.
Don't even use it yourself! seriously...
Buy a good monitor. The health of your eyes is more important than paying the price.
If you sit behind the computer too much, anti-radiation glasses will do wonders too! especially for things like programming, your eyes won't get tired at all.
Good luck. wishing you and your family good health.

Don't accept online opinions for health and safety information. Ask a few optometrists and/or opthalmologists if they consider reasonable CRT use to be a hazard.

Oh, and ask your Dr. if getting medical drug advice from a TV commercial may be right for you. 😉

Don't accept online opinions for health and safety information. Ask a few optometrists and/or opthalmologists if they consider reasonable CRT use to be a hazard.

Oh, and ask your Dr. if getting medical drug advice from a TV commercial may be right for you. 😉
That is funny! lol

Yes, this is exactly the best solution.

Seriously though, related to OP: I built a freeBSD workstation out of an SMP E5440 Xeon rack mount system a few weeks ago, and unfortunately I have no choice but to go back to the GNU world. Too much isn't directly supported in BSD, and cannot be supported because of the GNU licensing requirements. I'd feel better if I could use BSD but for now it's going back to the job of hosting single-task embedded R&D or server functions. My main workstation has to stay Debian for the foreseeable future.

Seriously though, related to OP: I built a freeBSD workstation out of an SMP E5440 Xeon rack mount system a few weeks ago, and unfortunately I have no choice but to go back to the GNU world. Too much isn't directly supported in BSD, and cannot be supported because of the GNU licensing requirements. I'd feel better if I could use BSD but for now it's going back to the job of hosting single-task embedded R&D or server functions. My main workstation has to stay Debian for the foreseeable future.
That's a bummer. I've used OpenBSD on some machines when FreeBSD didn't work. And I installed mx Linux on a laptop for my daughter because literally everything on it is sdio. And still the sound doesn't work. But I have an external soundcard she can use. Kind of lame. Lol

One thing I am not willing to do is compromise every machine on my network by having a windows system.

I haven't installed windoze on a machine I own since win-7! My anti-windoze stance is making it harder to do consulting work because my principles of not using a locked down M$ machine or being treated as a security risk are more important to me than the money. In my field too many engineering firms are buckling under to the guvt requirements that stifle creativity and turn the engineering staff into spreadsheet monkeys. Quit my last consulting gig because the kiddo IT manager demanded I do STM32 MCU and linux system development on a locked down M$ craptop that I couldn't even use the USB ports on. and linux under a VM is NOT a solution for systems designers! might work for the minions at software houses doing java devel but not in my world.

I haven't installed windoze on a machine I own since win-7! My anti-windoze stance is making it harder to do consulting work because my principles of not using a locked down M$ machine or being treated as a security risk are more important to me than the money. In my field too many engineering firms are buckling under to the guvt requirements that stifle creativity and turn the engineering staff into spreadsheet monkeys. Quit my last consulting gig because the kiddo IT manager demanded I do STM32 MCU and linux system development on a locked down M$ craptop that I couldn't even use the USB ports on. and linux under a VM is NOT a solution for systems designers! might work for the minions at software houses doing java devel but not in my world.

I have never done development professionally but I can't imagine using windows for development. That's sounds really gross. I last installed windows in 2006 and I think that partition stayed on that machine till 2008 maybe. Not sure. But it was XP and I just moved on to Linux but now I'm on the the BSDs.

And I installed mx Linux on a laptop for my daughter because literally everything on it is sdio. And still the sound doesn't work.
The sound stack under GNU is a disaster: the move to pulseaudio was bad enough, and now they are creating another solution in search of a problem with this pipe-whatever server. If you need help with the soundcard under linu then PM me and maybe I can help you get it figured out.

The sound stack under GNU is a disaster: the move to pulseaudio was bad enough, and now they are creating another solution in search of a problem with this pipe-whatever server. If you need help with the soundcard under linu then PM me and maybe I can help you get it figured out.
I may or may not keep Linux on that machine. I may replace it for something that works well with bsd.

...might work for the minions at software houses doing java devel but not in my world.
Hey! I resemble that remark. I got a Macbook Pro at work 🤷

The sound stack under GNU is a disaster: the move to pulseaudio was bad enough, and now they are creating another solution in search of a problem with this pipe-whatever server.
So true. I just set up sound on a Linux box for the first time in a long time. Pipewire is potentially worse than Pulseaudio. Thank goodness for Apulse!

I've been a moderator at linux musicians for 15 years and there is a guy on there named Gmaq, he is the developer of AV Linux. He has a rant in the back stage area called "When is enough enough" and it's got massive amounts of comments from everyone throwing a fit over pipewire. lol I used pipewire on Fedora before I switched to FreeBSD and I never had an issue with it. But I also wasn't producing anything audio related.

I take exception to "solutions in search of a problem" designed by kids who are looking to make their mark, without having the maturity to understand the ecosystem before they go futzing with things they don't fully understand...and then you end up with Poetterisms out the whazoo! I know, convenient scapegoat, but I'll probably find a crowd more receptive to those gripes here in the BSD world.

pipewire is just another ill conceived layer in a stack that is too deep already.

Seriously though, related to OP: I built a freeBSD workstation out of an SMP E5440 Xeon rack mount system a few weeks ago, and unfortunately I have no choice but to go back to the GNU world. Too much isn't directly supported in BSD, and cannot be supported because of the GNU licensing requirements.

Could you say what is not directly supported and how that makes you subservient to viral non-FOSS licencing?

If the standard sound in FreeBSD is not working, you may want to try the audio/OSS port.

pipewire is just another ill conceived layer in a stack that is too deep already.

And yet it just recently became a dependency of KDE5 (in addition to pulseaudio that is):
Code:
$ grep "OPTIONS_DEFAULT" /usr/ports/graphics/spectacle/Makefile
OPTIONS_DEFAULT=                PIPEWIRE
💩
Why do port maintainers always have to enable each and every crap by default? Seriously.

What's wrong with pipewire?

I didn't look into it but so far I put hope into it, because -well- it isn't pulseaudio.

What's wrong with pipewire?

I didn't look into it but so far I put hope into it, because -well- it isn't pulseaudio.
I don't know if there's something wrong with it. But I think there are aot of people asking if it's needed or just made to break audio.

Back