Must have pkgs

When I manually install a Linux desktop, I basically miss the microcode packages and a firewall gui compared to managed desktop distributions.
What you want is to know about exotic packages that you are not aware of. Seems like a good point to ask a better question if that's the case. I wouldn't make a problem of this.

Reactions: mer
I see quite a few people are fond of sysutils/tmux, […]
I use sysutils/screen instead because it directly supports serial consoles which I use a lot.
About 10 years ago I tried sysutils/tmux: My setup is one session on a server running 24/7. From my desktop I ssh(1) to the server and attach to the session. In my tmux trial I noticed:​
  • All attached screens must look at the same virtual terminal. If I have multiple computers in front of me, I can’t use them to my advantage (e. g. one computer for monitoring some process while continue working on the other).​
  • The screen size of the smallest attached screen determines the size of all virtual terminals. This is really annoying, because I do have various screen sizes. If I don’t detach my laptop (small screen), I must work with its size?​
These were deal breakers for me, so I quickly reverted to sysutils/screen (with sysutils/byobu). Maybe in the meantime those “problems” got fixed (are configurable now?), but why should I opt for tmux(1) then if screen(1) does it natively (without jumping hoops)?​
Which pkgs do users install as soon they have finished installing FreeBSD?
Well, sysutils/puppet7 – that’s the agent (client in server/client terminology) of Puppet, a configuration management tool. Other administrators use e. g. sysutils/ansible or sysutils/py-salt.

PS: My byobu(1) configuration uses two status lines (top: window titles and clock; bottom: various stats). I think tmux(1) is or at least was not capable of multiple status lines. Another reason why I stayed with screen(1).​

What I must have? Depends of course on the use case.

For a regular use workstation/vm, I usually do:
pkg install xorg xfce firefox fusefs-exfat fusefs-ntfs leafpad textadept pinta flameshot apache-openoffice smartmontools

More recently, I've been taking a shining to using twm, so leaving off xfce but adding bgs so I can have a background image.

I started with xfce, but have been using lxde now for several years. It's much cleaner for me.

I've settled on this Xfce config for quite some time and it works very well for my daily desktop use:

System
File manager: Double Commander
VNC/RDP Client: Remmina
Password Manager: KeePass
Download Manager/FTP Client: FileZilla
Color Pipette: gcolor2
Archive Manager: Ark
Dock: Plank
Terminal: Xfce Terminal
Disk Space Overview: QDirStat

Office
Text editor: Leafpad
Calculator: SpeedCrunch
E-mail client: Thunderbird
Browser: Firefox
Office: LibreOffice
Skype Client: Chromium running Skype for Web
Calendar: Orage

Graphics
Desktop Publishing: Scribus
Graphics Editor: GIMP
Image Viewer: Ristretto
PDF Viewer: Xpdf
Media Player: Parole Media Player

Development and Misc Stuff
Python IDE: JetBrains PyCharm
LaTeX Editor: TeXstudio
Bibliography Manager: KBibTeX
BitTorrent Client: qBitTorrent
Planetarium: KStars

Really happy with everything.

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
I do pkg update , pkg install xorg nano sudo drm-kmod filezilla firefox kate lxqt sddm (or sometimes lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter)

That's usually how I get a system going. After that it depends on what I'm using it for. :D

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
Back