Must have pkgs

Which pkgs do users install as soon they have finished installing FreeBSD?

My must have list includes drm-kmod mc emacs xorg lxde-meta chromium vlc

Not really. It might provide users with a pointer towards pkgs which some users have never heard of which might be worth discovering...
For that purpose https://www.freshports.org/ is a good place to discover packages. Just enter a search criteria and many suggestions appear. Additionally it is worth to check this forum. Sooner or later questions about very useful tools noody mentions anywhere else are raised and many of them are already available in the base.

urwfonts, mkfontscale, nano, bash, sudo, anacron, mkfontdir, ....

Here are my notes on the GNOME installation from about a year ago. This should still be basically correct:
Code:
pkg install drm-kmod
pkg install xorg tracker-miners nss_mdns gnome-lite
pkg install gedit
pkg install gnome-terminal
pkg install epiphany
pkg install gnome-calendar
pkg install gnome-characters
pkg install gnome-screenshot
pkg install gnome-clipboard-daemon
pkg install gnumeric
pkg install gnome-menus
pkg install gnome-lite
pkg install neofetch

Plus the familiar desktop applications

My current FreeBSD 13 aarch64 installation runs as VM in VMware Fusion on an M1 MacMini.
With a VM parallel installation on UTM/QEMU, the mouse does not work in the GNOME desktop despite many efforts.

The fonts are something I never touch, I settle for what is given to me by default. It seems like an interesting point.

All flame wars start with stupid questions asked at 1 AM...
1697728892457.png

Yeah, you can make a case that it's helpful to somebody at random... but it's about as useful as conducting a simulation of 'Exercise of doing something for the express purpose of running a simulation' 😂

IMO, depends on what the machine will be doing. The latest install was a FreeBSD VM on my $JOB Windows laptop. I installed CDE, git and ansible because we're an ansible shop there. The list just grew as I needed packages.

At home I run 15-CURRENT and I have my own poudriere to build my own packages because as a developer I should eat my own dogfood. While at $JOB I installed FreeBSD-13, using binary packages for ports, in a VM on the $JOB laptop. I don't have time to mess around with builds there.

At $JOB-1 I did maintain a bunch of FreeBSD infrastructure servers. There the list was conserver (now deprecated in favour of conserver-com) and krb5. The machines acted as console servers for my Solaris farm and as KRB5 KDCs. They were spread throughout the network on different VLANs. Back then there were no binary packages and there was no freebsd-update. Updating the systems and their packages was done by hand. It's certainly less trouble these days.

So yeah. It depends on the application.

What I must have? Depends of course on the use case.

For a regular use workstation/vm, I usually do:
pkg install xorg xfce firefox fusefs-exfat fusefs-ntfs leafpad textadept pinta flameshot apache-openoffice smartmontools

More recently, I've been taking a shining to using twm, so leaving off xfce but adding bgs so I can have a background image.

Among others

gsmartcontrol
smartmontools
wdiff
ghostscript
xpdf
djview
netpbm
GraphicsMagick
mplayer
w3m
chrome
firefox
xfig
tex
emacs
xorg
twm and a lot of MIT X11 clients, unfortunately not more in a package
plan9user
fossil
tcl86
tk86
alpine

emacs

Let the flamewars begin.
Not from me. I'm well accustomed to vi and variants but I if need to spend all day digging into code to root cause a problem, emacs is easier for me to navigate things.

I agree with others in this thread that the original question is hard without qualifiers, so with my qualifier of "my daily driver system used for everything from writing code, surfing the web, emails, editing photos", my must haves are:
drm-kmod on the intel systems, appropriate nvidia-driver on others
WindowMaker as the "DE" (yes, it's not) and the attendent X parts and widgets like wmCalClock and wmnd
urxvt is my preferred term app but xterm works just fine
claws-mail as imap email reader
darktable for the photo stuff
gimp
gnucash to do the household bookkeeping
xpdf or evince-lite for pdf viewers
openvpn to get to $WORK resources
smartmontools

Best thing you can do is once a system is "perfect" save the output of "pkg prime-list" and use that to create new systems.

Back