MPT2.0 driver for LSI SAS 2008/2108

I apologize if this is not right place to ask this question.

Is there any development being done for an MPT 2.0 driver to support LSI's new SAS2008 and SAS2108 chips (SAS 6.0Gbit)?

--Brian

Hello Guys,
The only reference I found regarding SAS2008 and FreeBSD is this post. I am also looking for FreeBSD support on LSI's new SAS2008 chipset and was wondering if there is any activity on this.

I do have the hardware and can set it up for remote access if any of the developers would like to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Harp Dhillon

Thanks for the info Joel, you don't happen to know how far off Scott is?

I know 2108 should work fine with mfi(4) but I have no idea how big the differences between 2008 and 2108 are. I suppose it's the mfi(4)-driver that should pick up support for 2008.

The reason I'm asking is because we were hoping to use eight standalone 2108-based controllers and two 2008-based onboard controllers for our storage, but as support for S2008 is currently lacking we'll probably have to go with two 1068-based controllers.

Hello, guys!

Does anyone have any news about these new LSI cards support?
I wrote Scott an email, but got no answer. :(

I've tried the FreeBSD driver for this card http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/megaraid/sassata/9240-4i/index.html (which seems to be built on the same chip). But there are only drivers for 6.4 and 7.0 RELEASE. The last one is compiling on the 7.2, but seems fail to work. Even it is possible to make it up running on the 7. branch, I need support on the 8.0-RELEASE.

Hope the driver will be ready soon, older LSI devices are being disappearing from stocks, and we need to buy newer ones.

Using 6.4-RELEASE amd64, tried the drivers from LSI from MegaRAID release 4.2 to the latest one, but it seems the drivers they supply are all 32-bit drivers...

When I recompile the kernel it hits this exception showing the driver isn't 64 bit...

Code:
=======================================================================
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c: In function `mfi_alloc_skinny_memory':
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:668: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:702: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:703: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:708: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:708: warning: long long int format, long unsigned intarg (arg 3)
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:746: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:749: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:787: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:791: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:801: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c: In function `mfi_free_skinny_memory':
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:1126: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:1130: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:1140: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c: In function `mfi_bio_command':
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:2095: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:2097: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c: In function `mfi_ioctl':
/usr/src/sys/dev/mfi/mfi.c:2994: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CTS_GENERIC.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
=======================================================================

Suggestions, anyone?

Has there been any further discussion on this driver? Has anybody had any success with the driver? I've got it running on a Dell r710 attached to an MD3200. I'm able to see the MD3200 and the card. The disk advertised by the system is pretty hit and miss.

Hi,

I'd very much like to use this driver, I'm currently running 8.2-RELEASE and have a HP SAS with an LSI 9211-8i card.

I actually tried myself to use cvsup to update to -STABLE. I downloaded a few files in initiating the command, spent 1-2 hours using makeworld/buildworld/etc... rebooted into single user mode, ran a few commands and after I was done. After checking, it seems like I was still on 8.2-RELEASE, and could not see any further connected HDDs which are currently sitting on the controller.

I've used BSD before for a short while, but I'm not 100% familiar with compiling specifics so I was running a bit blindly. Could someone please offer me some direction as to how I should attempt to retrieve the driver that was merged into the STABLE branch and compile/get it up and running? I'm not after an essay, just a bit of a push to get me going ;)

Cheers,

bogchop

See "24.5.2.3 Using FreeBSD-STABLE" in the excellent FreeBSD Handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

Very, very summarized (my way)

1. Install cvsup-without-gui
2. Copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile somewhere, and edit it to select a cvs mirror (i.e. replace the CHANGE-THIS text with one of the host names at "A.6.7 CVSup Sites" in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html)
3. As root cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile
4. cd to /usr/src then make buildworld, make buildkernel, make installkernel, make installworld, mergemaster, checking carefully for errors before proceeding from one step to the next
5. reboot

BTW, the driver functions perfectly with the Dell Perc H200 (OEM SAS 2008) controller

Best regards,
Roberto

Step one is not needed as csup(1) is part of the base install, and does the exact same thing as cvsup.

Then step 3 can be changed to use csup instead of cvsup.

@rdeiriar, do it work perfect with 32-bit or 64-bit?

I'm building a rig now and it's Supermicro X8ST3-F (LSI 1068E) vs Supermicro X8DTH-6F (LSI 2008) which I am going to run together with HP SAS Expander and FreeBSD x64.

So if I can't be sure that LSI 2008 will do the job with FreeBSD x64 (I don't want any BS) I'll go for LSI 1068E but If there is good support for LSI 2008 I really want it.

I read around at other forums that they don't trust LSI 2008 and FreeBSD for some reason. So I made a account here to ask.

I hope anyone can help me out here :S

I am running a 4 disk mirror+stripe zpool (what would be the equivalent of Raid 10 under zfs) with a 64 bit 8.2-STABLE kernel.

No problems so far.

I recently ended up with a Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8i (LSI 2008) when I ordered an AOC-USAS-L8i (LSI 1068) controller. Not too sure yet if I should try pursue the older part or take a leap of faith. Any more positive reports with the new mps(4) driver?

Back