MPT2.0 driver for LSI SAS 2008/2108

Is it mfi or mps for LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i? Where I need to supply this command? Though I am unable to see FreeBSD 9.0 Rc2 to detect this card on my PowerEdge Server, so it fails to install further. Flashing the firmware to IT mode is something new and I wonder if it is the same way for my PowerEdge server (as seen for IBM machines). Building up new patched Custom ISO for FreeBSD is too not working for me as it fails to incorporate mfi patch into make release. Please suggest in my case.

Is it mfi or mps for LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i?
According to this page, your MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i card uses the "LSISAS2008" SAS controller.

According to this page, the mps driver should handle your "LSISAS2008" controller.

The mfi driver man page doesn't seem to mention your card or controller.

I am using the mps driver, but I never tried the installer. I installed manually on the command line, using this guide, because I wanted a ZFS mirror root file system.

Where I need to supply this command?
On a FreeBSD 8.2 RELEASE, which does not come with mps, I added the mps.ko file to /boot/kernel/ and typed # kldload mps and then added to my /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
mps_load="YES"

And then later I switched to 8.2-STABLE-2011.09.27 (due to severe ZFS instability in 8.2 RELEASE and 8.2-STABLE-2011-05).

And later switched to the mpslsi driver, and changed the above lines to:
Code:
mps_load="NO"
mpslsi_load="YES"

So give the manual install a try to see if it is any different. Or try the FixIt shell to load the driver (which as far as I know is loaded by default in anything later than 8.2-STABLE), check that the disks work, and then go back to the installer. Or try the lsi driver (I tried it to see if it fixed some SCSI timeouts though, not disk detection)

Also one more note, I had a similar problem on my server but not on a virtual machine, where when booting off of (forget which one) 8.2 Release or Stable, it had some strange behavior, like not detecting my CD-ROM to run the FixIt shell, until I went to the options and selected something like "refresh devices". So you could try that too.

Back