Solved mounting hdd in new freebsd install

Sir Dice
Is this perhaps a ghostbsd block. I am prepared to load a straight freebsd if I can load xorg and xfce for example. I would like to be able to access my NAS drive as I can with ghost bsd mate. Load firefox chromium vlc libre office . If this is a better option can you send me the instructions. I have networking set up with a fixed ip for this PC and 3 drivesSamsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB for the OS.

I thought your issue was accessing your new hdd... having said that I guess without a GUI you won't have access to the forum...

You could always install NomadBSD on a USB stick and boot from that....

so with nomad bsd "Together with automatic hardware detection and setup, " is this what is missing in ghost bsd?

Never used GhostBSD.... Just to refresh..., what does gpart show display assuming you boot from NomadBSD, also show /etc/rc.conf from your GhostBSD partition.

Hello
I have chosen to reinstall ghostbsd. I loaded arch linux as I explained and the 2 HDD ada2 and ada0 both were mounted. I the installed nomadbsd. Both drives were not mounted automatically. As i have stated the 2 drives appear in the install process. I could have installed it on either both drives were accessible.
What I think I will do is reformat the 2 HDD. So how can I do this in freebsd terminal. Perhaps if I set up a new fs then perhaps we can mount them. I would like this to help others.
Leigh

Code:
egrep 'ad[0-9]|cd[0-9]' /var/run/dmesg.boot 
ahci2: <AMD KERNCZ AHCI SATA controller> mem 0xfcd00000-0xfcd007ff irq 45 at device 0.0 on pci13
uart5: <16x50 with 256 byte FIFO> iomem 0xfedcf000-0xfedcffff,0xfedcd000-0xfedcdfff irq 4 on acpi0
ahci2: <AMD KERNCZ AHCI SATA controller> mem 0xfcd00000-0xfcd007ff irq 45 at device 0.0 on pci13
uart5: <16x50 with 256 byte FIFO> iomem 0xfedcf000-0xfedcffff,0xfedcd000-0xfedcdfff irq 4 on acpi0

/etc/rc.conf file
Code:
rc_parallel="NO"
devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"
kld_list="linux linux64 cuse /boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"
ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
vboxservice_flags="--disable-timesync"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
keymap="us.kbd"

I'd suggest you create an installation USB stick such as this and boot up, select shell and then run gpart show. Then you will know what FreeSD actually sees.

Also if you have Arch Linux, why not install Grub2 and then you can install a minimal FreeBSD partition of 5GB or so to allow you to quickly flip between FreeBSD and Linux.

balanga
I ran the freebsd memstick shell and gpart show. All the drives were shown. The BIOS shows each of the drives. LSBLK shows they are there. I will wait for your reply. Perhaps Sir Dice may have an idea. BIOS shows them. LSBLK shows them. The freebsd installer can access them. Why cant they be mounted?

DEVICE MAJ:MIN SIZE TYPE LABEL MOUNT
ada0 0:142 932G GPT - -
<FREE> -:- 1.0M - - -
ada0p1 0:143 932G freebsd-ufs gptid/cb638c2c-902a-11eb-8a10-b42e99e8e5fe -
<FREE> -:- 708K - - -
ada1 0:146 119G GPT - -
ada1p1 0:151 119G freebsd-ufs gptid/2de911ce-8f75-11eb-b787-b42e99e8e5fe -
<FREE> -:- 324K - - -

balanga
I ran the freebsd memstick shell and gpart show. All the drives were shown. The BIOS shows each of the drives. LSBLK shows they are there. I will wait for your reply. Perhaps Sir Dice may have an idea. BIOS shows them. LSBLK shows them. The freebsd installer can access them. Why cant they be mounted?

DEVICE MAJ:MIN SIZE TYPE LABEL MOUNT
ada0 0:142 932G GPT - -
ada0p1 0:143 932G freebsd-ufs gptid/cb638c2c-902a-11eb-8a10-b42e99e8e5fe -
<FREE> -:- 708K - - -
ada1 0:146 119G GPT - -
ada1p1 0:151 119G freebsd-ufs gptid/2de911ce-8f75-11eb-b787-b42e99e8e5fe -
<FREE> -:- 324K - - -
When you want display the output form gpart show it is far more readable if you paste into a Code (</>) section...

If you boot from the memstick image run
Code:
mount /dev/ada0p1 /mnt
ls -al /mnt >> /tmp/filelist.lst
umount /mnt
mount /dev/ada1p1 /mnt
ls -al /mnt >> /tmp/filelist.lst
cat /tmp/filelist
This should show what if any files exist on these disks... I'm loosing track of what you have done so far...

I've gone through the entire thread, twice. And I still have no idea what the actual problem is. Disks are mounted properly and show up as empty. Yet the OP still insists there's an error? A good description of the issue seems to be completely absent too. Just some posts with an error that's lacking any and all context.

hortdog please understand that we have nothing to go on, we can't see what you do or what's on your screen. If you don't describe the actual problem, in detail, step by step, then all we can do is guess. And we've been guessing for almost 70 posts in this thread. We're good but we don't have a crystal ball, we simply don't magically know what the problem is if you only post random error messages.

Back