UFS mount pending error

Does this mean it is time to look for a new disk?

System has taken a couple of bounces the last couple of days. Ssh and NFS recover nicely, so it might have done a lot more bounces as I was not near the sustem for a week and a half.

From dmesg.today:
Code:
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ada0p2 [rw,noatime]...
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /: mount pending error: blocks 8 files 0

When the system instantly shuts down (for whatever reason) the filesystem will be in a "dirty" state. When you boot a fsck(8) is run in the background but sometimes it's not able to fix things this way. Boot to single user mode and run fsck(8) by hand. In single user mode the root filesystem is mounted read-only and fsck(8) can fix more serious types of errors. Try that first. Then install sysutils/smartmontools and look at the SMART data of the disk. That will tell you if the disk is starting to get bad or if it's just a result of a bunch of power outages.

fsck in single user mode did indeed uncover some superblok breakage, which was repaired. Presumably BSD decided that the disk was unwritable and thus provided no system log entry or crash dump.

This problem is specific only to UFS that unfortunately doesn't take kindly to sudden reboots or power downs. With ZFS you'd never see such messages or have any need for single user maintenance (except under very dire circumstances but those are really rare).

This is indeed the first time in what must be fifteen years that I have had to resort to single user mode on BSD. I hardly knew what to do.

ZFS as root has always appeared to me as rather problematical with lots of admonitions (RAID-1 only), but then again I am a bit age-challenged in newspeek.

This particular system's purpose in life is to be a data repository. It has done that with flying colours.

Whenever the SSD that I use as root has konked out, I have installed a new disk and the then current freeBSD and then zpool import pool and the whole system springs back to life. Time and time again.

Perhaps I should investigate how/if FreeBSD can log to my workstation before it falls on its sword. Suggestions welcome.

Back