Mount Galaxy S III

Trying to mount a Galaxy S3 phone but unable to do so. From what I gather USB mass storage is no longer used and it must connect via MTP. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Unfortunately I'm pretty lost as to how to get this going. I installed mtpfs but am not sure which commands I'm suppose to be using with it. I ran mtpfs but I get "fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory". Is there a man page? man mtpfs produces nothing. How did you mount the galaxy ACE?

I didn't use mtps at all. When you plug your phone, a /dev/daX entry should appear. Then, turn on file sharing (I don't know the exact name in English) and /dev/daXs1 should have been created. So, mount it with mount -t msdosfs /dev/daXs1 /mnt

Gollum.

sigh said:
Unfortunately I'm pretty lost as to how to get this going. I installed mtpfs but am not sure which commands I'm suppose to be using with it. I ran mtpfs but I get "fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory" Is there a man page? man mtpfs produces nothing. How did you mount the galaxy ACE?

You should:

1. enable FUSE support in /etc/rc.conf to load FUSE kernel module in every system startup
Code:
fusefs_enable="YES"

2. enable mount by user in /etc/sysctl.conf
Code:
vfs.usermount=1

After you connect the Galaxy S3 as MTP device to your FreeBSD, you can mount with mtpfs /mnt. Now, you can access the filesystem of Galaxy S3 under /mnt directory.

To umount your Galaxy S3, just do as follow umount /mnt

Thanks @zeissoctopus, I can now mount my S3 but unfortunately only as root. When I mount it as a regular user it shows that it mounts but when I try to access the directory it tells me it's not a directory. I can mount and access USB drives fine as a regular user.

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed the instructions by @Zeis @zeissoctopus [size=-1][presumably -- Mod.][/size] above. When I try to mount a Samsung Galaxy Note in MTP mode, I get the following error.

# mtpfs /mnt
Code:
Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading, MTPZ disabled.Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung Galaxy models (MTP).
   Found 1 device(s):
   Samsung: Galaxy models (MTP) (04e8:6860) @ bus 2, dev 4
Attempting to connect device
Unable to open raw device 40

Any hints?

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth, I found an alternative; I installed the File Manager application from the Play Store - and it included different network sharing features. An included feature is a LAN FTP server with configurable shared path and configurable anonymous and user accounts.

Back