Module still part of kernel after removing from conf file

I'm trying to debug an issue with eMMC controller and would like to exclude the module (sdhci_acpi) from kernel and be able to load it myself when I make changes to the driver source. However, even after I commented these lines from the conf file, the module still shows up as a part of the kernel.

device mmc
device mmcsd
device sdhci_acpi

After removing these lines I run the following commands

make -j16 buildkernel
make installkernel INSTKERNDIR=freebsd12_dev

After rebooting with the new kernel, it still contains sdhci_acpi module as a part of kernel (checked using kldstat -v)

Any idea, what the problem could be?
I'm new to FreeBSD, any other advice on how to tackle device driver debugging is most welcome.

root@amd-sham:~ # uname -a
FreeBSD amd-sham 12.0-ALPHA5 FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA5 #6 4e22ee37542(master)-dirty: Mon Sep 24 10:20:00 IST 2018 sham1810@amd-sham:/usr/obj/usr/home/sham1810/freebsd_dev/freebsd/freebsd/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64

I have looked into other ways of excluding kernel module (WITHOUT_MODULE variable), but I'm curious as to why this does not work.

Never, ever, modify GENERIC. When people see your uname(1) output they are going to assume it's a standard GENERIC kernel, not a custom kernel. Rename the custom kernel and make sure to change the ident line accordingly.

Never, ever, modify GENERIC. When people see your uname(1) output they are going to assume it's a standard GENERIC kernel, not a custom kernel. Rename the custom kernel and make sure to change the ident line accordingly.

Noted. I compiled it again with a new KERNCONFIG. It works.

Back