Moderated?

Trihexagonal said:
The second result you point to is the FreeBSD forums FAQ which explains forum rules, etiquette, and moderation of posts.

The third result you refer to is a Linux forum. Any reason to think they might be biased against any and all things FreeBSD? Phoronix is also associated with Linux reviews, benchmarking and gaming. No bias there either?
Guess ddg customises results based on some criteria. So direct links:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/*bsd-17/why-should-you-be-using-freebsd-947828/page4.html
https://caffeine-powered.net/freebsd/freebsd-forum-rant/
mix_room said:
The rules you mention are basically normal etiquette in any normal conversation. I am quite sure that swearing, insulting coworkers and taking part in illegal activities are not condoned in your work place, school, social club or other place of gathering. The same applies here. You can say what you want, just say it nicely.
Condoned? Usually it is, up to some limit that nobody crosses because when one's getting near, other members give signs of disallowance. And this happens usually w/out any authority stepping in.
mix_room said:
I have never left a forum because it was too tightly controlled, but have seen several which I would not bother reading because of the loose control.
Well, I've had both. I left ubuntuforums because the control was too tight. FreeBSD forum is on the edge, though if I knew a good alternative that would offer more freedom, I would leave it for sure.

Slurp said:
I meant voices saying that level of moderation here is too high. Only myself and the OP said this, ...
No, the OP did not. The OP asked if he was on moderated status, and why, and why his OP was edited by a moderator. That was all the OP asked in the OP.

Jim

This thread reminds me why I prefer FreeBSD over GNU/Linux. It seems insane to me that people would prefer a free-for-all forum where posts are unmodified.

I have a question for the annoyed posters above. Have you ever seen a post that was harder to read after being edited by a moderator? I suspect not. If this is the case, then the only conclusion I can draw is that a moderator has spent his or her time cleaning up someone's sloppiness, and made a post easier to read for all. What is bad about that? It seems like being a moderator is a bit like being a Rugby referee; the crowd will always have an issue with what you do.

JSeymour said:
No, the OP did not. The OP asked if he was on moderated status, and why, and why his OP was edited by a moderator. That was all the OP asked in the OP.

Jim

Ah, sorry, donduq, not OP.

caesius said:
I have a question for the annoyed posters above. Have you ever seen a post that was harder to read after being edited by a moderator? I suspect not.
Yes, many times. In fact, that's a usual thing.
Because I am unable to just skip reading "edited by: ... " messages. Actually, they grab my attention. And that alone is much more than language issues, except for extreme cases.

caesius said:
If this is the case, then the only conclusion I can draw is that a moderator has spent his or her time cleaning up someone's sloppiness, and made a post easier to read for all. What is bad about that? It seems like being a moderator is a bit like being a Rugby referee; the crowd will always have an issue with what you do.
You skip:
-people who are moderated
-people who can't continue discussion because topic was closed or a sidetrack silenced
So even when moderation makes a post or thread easier to read or in general better, it's not not making things better for all.

OK, since everybody is posting, I'll grab the chance and speak my mind as well:

- I too got confused the first time I got corrected by DD, saw the comment, followed the link, read the directions, got a bit annoyed (cause I had to memorise new things, and I am known for my bad memory :)), but then I got easily used to using these "new" rules. To be honest, I kind of like the nice-edited posts that this forum has...who would have known if it weren't for DD and his correction-madness!! :) Moreover, I very easily write my posts following the forum's rules, and I think it helps readability indeed (got used to reading nice-edited posts...who knows! :)).

- On the other hand, surely people should not feel inferior due to their bad English/grammar. So, moderation should take this point into account as well. If they realise or feel that people are offended/annoyed/whatevered by their moderation style, then it might be a good moment for introspection. I don't think that this is the case, though; but this again is only my opinion.

- Lastly, I enjoy seeing that sometimes the strict style of this forum's frequent editors is forgotten and some bits of humorous behaviour is being cultivated. I understand that seriousness is, unfortunately, vital for keeping a forum troll-free, but too much seriousness can be quite tiring as well...so, with respect to my last comments on humour:

@All(inclusive): get a girlfriend/hobby/room/whatever and stop taking this topic too serious...OK, it's good that somebody felt something and got it out of his/her guts, but that's all. Grammar exists, punctuation exists, rules exist, freedom of speech exists...the point of this forum is to help people to deal with issues that are related to FreeBSD. We all have to deal with one another and continue trying to accomplish this goal. Some of us will use proper English, some of us will not, some will be corrected by DD or SirDice, and some others won't.

That's life, let's move on now...

PS: @All: keep up the good work!!

Slurp said:
You skip:
-people who are moderated
-people who can't continue discussion because topic was closed or a sidetrack silenced

You're making a much bigger deal out of this than it is in reality.

I went back through every forum sub-section on this site and out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of threads posted so far in the year 2012 counted a total of 31 threads that had been closed where further discussion was not possible. The majority of those were threads about Linux and other Operating Systems, 1 of which was where someone only posted a meme. Out of all those I only saw where 1 person had been banned for 10 days due to outright insults and infractions.

In comparison, I counted 19 threads randomly closed in the last 30 days at another forum sub-section where I've been a member since 2007. That is until last week, when I decided to stop posting there. Which begs the question...

Slurp said:
I left ubuntuforums because the control was too tight. FreeBSD forum is on the edge, though if I knew a good alternative that would offer more freedom, I would leave it for sure.

With all due respect, what's stopping you? If I was as unhappy as you appear to be I'd close my browser and be done with it.

Not many of your posts are about problems you've encountered with the FreeBSD OS, and from the looks of your posts in this thread you do know how to spell and can use formatting tags when it suits you. You shouldn't have much of a problem with your posts being moderated and if it irks you to see other people get moderated just stop frequenting the forums.

Trihexagonal said:
You're making a much bigger deal out of this than it is in reality.

I went back through every forum sub-section on this site and out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of threads posted so far in the year 2012 counted a total of 31 threads that had been closed where further discussion was not possible. The majority of those were threads about Linux and other Operating Systems, 1 of which was where someone only posted a meme. Out of all those I only saw where 1 person had been banned for 10 days due to outright insults and infractions.

In comparison, I counted 19 threads randomly closed in the last 30 days at another forum sub-section where I've been a member since 2007. That is until last week, when I decided to stop posting there. Which begs the question...
I speak if my experiences, I don't know how often closing a thread happens, I know that it happened to me when I felt that the discussion wasn't over and I saw no reason for closeup. I don't think that I ever experienced such thing on any forum that I visit.

As to moderation frequency, you can't separate it from the community. This one is quite cultural, so there's little need...or maybe it's just tamed? Anyway, I visit 1 forum full of flame wars, where overall severity of moderation is higher than here (though amount probably isn't despite much higher message throughput) and there I don't complain....though if I wrote more than 2 posts a year, I probably would.

Trihexagonal said:
With all due respect, what's stopping you? If I was as unhappy as you appear to be I'd close my browser and be done with it.

Not many of your posts are about problems you've encountered with the FreeBSD OS, and from the looks of your posts in this thread you do know how to spell and can use formatting tags when it suits you. You shouldn't have much of a problem with your posts being moderated and if it irks you to see other people get moderated just stop frequenting the forums.
I said already what's stopping me: lack of alternatives. I ask for help on PC-BSD forum...and in 80% of cases get no reply. That's not OK. For now, I have to live with a whole lot of problems that I have... Why don't I start asking in here? I guess because I don't feel it's a place for me. Can I avoid being moderated? Most of the time yes. But I can't let myself loose, there's a constant pressure to stay correct and that's not a thing I want to bear with.
Overall, I think that this forum is much more helpful than PC-BSD one, but at the same time - less friendly.

Slurp said:
I speak if my experiences, I don't know how often closing a thread happens, I know that it happened to me when I felt that the discussion wasn't over and I saw no reason for closeup. I don't think that I ever experienced such thing on any forum that I visit.

You're pulling my leg...right? Was it really that traumatic of an experience for you?

I'm going to recommend you take mamalos' advise and leave it at that.

mamalos said:
@All(inclusive): get a girlfriend/hobby/room/whatever and stop taking this topic too serious...

Sometimes people spend a lot of time writing posts, carefully trying to get the right words. When someone else edits that, it is easy to take it personally. Try not to take it personally.

Trihexagonal said:
You're pulling my leg...right? Was it really that traumatic of an experience for you?
Traumatic? No. But it left a very bad taste.

wblock@ said:
Sometimes people spend a lot of time writing posts, carefully trying to get the right words. When someone else edits that, it is easy to take it personally. Try not to take it personally.

I don't take personally things that happen to nigh everyone around. I just really dislike it and I'm not sure if I am willing to accept it.

I feel the discussion is stuck.

Slurp@

Everyone expects you to write the last post in this thread the word "understand" as proof that you accept the rules of this forum. And the next thread you post is to suggest a problem you don't understand, to give a solution together.

Regards.

cpu82 said:
Slurp@

Everyone expects you to write the last post in this thread the word "understand" as proof that you accept the rules of this forum. And the next thread you post is to suggest a problem you don't understand, to give a solution together.

Regards.

Well, maybe I'm tired, but I don't understand what do you mean.

The Good Conclusion: "if you understand the role of the moderators then no further discussion is necessary".

Slurp said:
Well, maybe I'm tired, but I don't understand what do you mean.

Clever and stubborn.

Probably something along the lines of "You have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" would have sufficed.

Though I didn't make that up. Someone much smarter than you and I did =)

UNIXgod said:
Clever and stubborn.

Frankly, no. I really didn't understand.
I guess now I do.

The role of moderators?
"To keep a place civil enough for users to feel comfortable" is the closest definition that comes to my mind, though I don't think it's perfect. Anyway, I guess that this place defines the role differently.

Slurp said:
Frankly, no. I really didn't understand.
I guess now I do.

Man it's just for fun... and sometimes profit. The web is full of angst and miscommunications. No one here is in any social club or insiders circle or niche.

If you have a question ask it. Someone will give you an answer. If your question sparks debate sometimes edge case scenarios are defined to further aid the original question.

If you see a question which you have had the luxury of working through yourself answer it with your own experience.

We are all students and teachers here. With the exception of spam, warez and obvious trolling flamebate this forum for the most part is relaxed. Especially since we are all dealing with a highly technical topic with a fairly diverse user group of programmers/engineers, networking/database/system administrators and high level users (artisans/hobbyists) from all around the planet.

Never quoted myself in a thread before. But why not!

UNIXgod said:
It's really not a big deal if you really think about it. We are here to learn from each other. Let the moderators moderate. I've seen so many internet user communities rot in waste for lack of moderation policy. The FreeBSD forum is of a higher quality because of it.

UNIXgod said:
If you have a question ask it.

@nobody in particular:

Do keep in mind that properly formatting/formulating (let's call it fofo-ing) your question is more likely to attract the attention of someone who knows the answer. The people who are most knowledgeable and therefore most likely to know the answer are often also the people whose time is most limited and/or valuable, which means they have (the right) to be selective regarding what they spend their time/effort/attention on. Badly fofo-ed posts are likely to just be ignored by people who have to prioritise. When you think about it, a moderator who cleans up a badly fofo-ed post is actually really just helping both the poster and the other forum users.

Fonz

I, like most people, came here first just to make an account and post my question as fast as I could, as I was busy working on my system (like most people that find forums like these). Quickly I noticed my post fiercly edited and was so upset I wrote DutchDaemon a nasty pm. After a few days I realized (mini epiphany) how much we have dumbed down proper writing etiquette online, and how stupid we sound asking for help with no intent to stay on the forums and offer others help from our own knowledge.

So I wrote DutchDaemon an apology email about how I respected the rules and understand why it was needed to be taken seriously, now I enjoy these forums and find understanding peoples' questions way easier than on other sites/chat-rooms. I also welcome punctuation edits now, it shows someone is at least reading what I'm writing!! :)

contraversy said:
.... After a few days I realized (mini epiphany) how much we have dumbed down proper writing etiquette online, and how stupid we sound asking for help with no intent to stay on the forums and offer others help from our own knowledge.

Which is IMHO the difference between a community and a mob.
And I enjoy a community more than a mob, that is why I am here.

Yeah I'm on Moderated Status too because I am trying to have suggestions to port LXDM to FreeBSD but its pointless now.

j0hnny said:
Yeah I'm on Moderated Status too because I am trying to have suggestions to port LXDM to FreeBSD but its pointless now.

No, you're on moderated status because you have less than 10 posts. You trying to get LXDM ported to FreeBSD has nothing to do with it.

However, it is pointless now as you already stated in another post that you don't have FreeBSD installed at the moment.

Back