Moderated?

Can somebody tell me what's up?

I started this thread the other day. I just followed-up to it and found I'm now on moderated status for some reason?

Also: I just noticed my OP says "Last edited by DutchDaemon; October 31st, 2012 at 18:56." Who is "DutchDaemon" and why did he/she/it edit my post?

Thanks,
Jim

The first ten posts of new posters are moderated as an anti-spam measure.

I don't see an edited message in that thread, but DutchDaemon and other moderators sometimes edit messages to use the correct markup, or to be more readable. There's a way to see a diff, but I can't recall just how to see it.

JSeymour said:
Who is "DutchDaemon" and why did he/she/it edit my post?
Oh, I just know this is so close to trolling .. but it's Friday and when I read your post I heard Rachel's quote from F*R*I*E*N*D*S :

Who is FICA and why is he getting all my money ? :)

I hope I can vent my opinion here without the risk of being banned.

I don't intend to make this personal so, to be clear, I just need to rant a bit about behaviour and not about the person behind it.

DutchDaemon edits almost each and every post and I find it extremely annoying. Who in their right mind would edit post after post after post, probably spending many an hour to correct posts written by others, just because he or she made a spelling mistake or forgot a capital when starting a new sentence?

You can leave it up to DutchDaemon. He'll make sure that you and everyone else will notice all of your spelling errors by marking them in bold.

I find the entire thing arrogant, insulting and belligerant. His name is underneath 99% of all posts. If it were up to me DutchDaemon would edit no more posts at all. Leave them be; if I have to choose between spelling errors or DutchDaemon's moderation style I'd rather have the former. And while at it I would remove his signature as well, if you "do NOT" work here then stop editing people's posts.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but each time I visit the forums it annoys me more. Yes, I could choose to not come here anymore but instead I'm choosing to let it out. Should be ok too, right? So I hope that I'm allowed to say the above and again, I am not attacking the person, I'm attacking his style of moderating.

I have to opposite you donduq. This is only one forum I visit on daily basis and I find it really useful. I attribute this equally to high "personal quality" of most FreeBSD users and forum moderadion, done mainly by DutchDaemon. Here are some rules, beeing as correct in content and form as possible to achieve hight readability and understanding of discussions is one of them. I consider moderation you mentioned as help from moderators to become closer to this goal, not as action aimed against users.

Hi Ondra. I agree that this forum does have a high quality and I come here often, too. I understand that many (or even few) spelling errors and/or incorrectly used forum codes can be very detrimental for the forum's quality. However, when someone writes for example the following:

Hi all, i am from europe an i am New on the forums, i love freebsd!!!

And it gets corrected to something like this:

Hi all.

I am from Europe and I am new on the forums. I love FreeBSD!

Then to me the attempt to uphold the high quality and standards just translates to elitism. Personally I don't feel less welcome because as a non-native English speaker I am lucky enough that my English is really good, especially in comparison to most people who live in my specific country. However, considering the fact that language and grammar are talents which are just not possessed by everyone, I can imagine that a lot of people do not feel more welcome by this at all.

It's probably best I leave it at this but I do want to reiterate that I am not out to offend anyone and am just sharing my perspective.

@donduq: Well, grammar-nazis are everywhere .. eh, just kidding. :)

The point of all these corrections is that people should focus on the described problem and not on what is author trying to say. Proper formatting has its place here.

And believe you me I had some problems with this too. I don't like capital letters - I don't use them even in official emails (you should see my German colleagues, seems they really don't like to be addressed as "sebastian", "joerg", etc..). They got used to it though. :)

I believe we should thank DutchDaemon for taking his (free?) time to maintain the high standard of the forums. He deserves the credit for this.

Also, Having read the rules recently, I rememberdc this part:

DutchDaemon said:
Note that a lot of people can only read the forums using translation services, and these services do not understand words like "im", "id", "thats", "dont", "cant", "w8", "pls", etcetera!

There are two separate issues here:
  • board formatting
  • English usage
1. The moderators here have very specific formatting requirements, which I wholeheartedly agree with, only the latter aren't always obvious. I only just learned today about the port tag, thanks to interventions by SirDice.

2. I'm a native English-speaker and shitty-looking English looks awful. I don't care if you aren't a native speaker and your grammar isn't perfect, but if you want to be taken seriously on an international forum such as this one, for Dawg's sake, at the very least, please learn basic English punctuation and capitalization rules.

matoatlantis said:
And believe you me I had some problems with this too. I don't like capital letters - I don't use them even in official emails (you should see my German colleagues, seems they really don't like to be addressed as "sebastian", "joerg", etc..). They got used to it though.
No, they probably didn't get used to it, it probably still bothers them, as it would me; they simply decided it wasn't worth the trouble trying to educate a self-satisfied jerk like you. In English, and even more so in German, we capitalize proper nouns. Do you have a problem with that?

donduq said:
Then to me the attempt to uphold the high quality and standards just translates to elitism.
B.S.

Grammar rules, whatever the language, are designed to make language more precise. If you'd rather not be precise, that's fine, just don't expect the rest of us to guess what you mean.

cbrace said:
No, they probably didn't get used to it, it probably still bothers them, as it would me; they simply decided it wasn't worth the trouble trying to educate a self-satisfied jerk like you. In English, and even more so in German, we capitalize proper nouns. Do you have a problem with that?

Yay, I've just been called jerk for no apparent reason. You think Slovak language does not have capitalization? There's a theory that text with all-lower case is easier to read. You can google around to find out more. I do think so too.

Here (at work) we are in very good terms and we even joke about our national stereotypes (not just Slovak/German ones). If something really bothers somebody, we say. And no, it does not bother them any more.

But to be polite and answer your question:

cbrace said:
we capitalize proper nouns. Do you have a problem with that?
Yes.

I hope calling me uneducated self-satisfied jerk made a fuzzy, warm feeling inside you. You did good, you did good...

@All,

Point taken, people often feel insulted but there is no meaning into getting personal here. Every language has it's ways, this forum is in English so we must try to write properly.

Methinks correcting the grammar and tags is OK. The only problem is much more serious errors are not corrected. It makes it kind of farce.

Correct binary units.
Correct prefixes.

Lots of uneducated people try to claim there are different units and prefixes for every country.
SI - systeme internationale.
Which means it is the same for every nation. There is no SI for Germany, SI for UK, SI for USA.
DutchDaemon, how about dealing with a major issue first? How about correcting all KB's to kB? Or KiB? All mbps to MB/s or MiB/s? Etc, etc. ?

If you write your question in a form like this:
"Hi all, i am from europe an i am New on the forums, i love freebsd!!!"

It can mean:

a) Your first language is English, but you lack the maturity and patience to invest 2 more seconds of your life to write question in proper language. This shows to other readers that you also expect others to treat your question with more seriousness. If someone couldn't be bothered to properly ask a question, why should I bother to answer?
Yes, putting upper/lowercases where they should be does make others take you more seriously.

b) Your first language is not English, and you don't know any better. It's fine. One more reason to learn it properly.

c) You are 8 years old.

Whatever the case may be, you shouldn't be angry because a moderator corrected you in trying to keep with forum's standard, and instead take a lesson from it. It also shows that you are closer to options c). Other forums might take a pride in not being so strict about this, but I for one am glad that this forum is not one of them.

For those who need repeating, this is not about KiB vs KB. This is about taking 2 (two) more seconds of your life to correct your grammar.

It took me a bit to get used to it. For the most part it is for the better. The forum would be worthless for searching if the corrections were ignored.

No reason to get on DutchDaemon for doing his thing. We've all been moderated. Heck I'm native english speaking and been moderated. Though I've become more proactive with this forum to avoid it. It's allowed me to become more effective at communications with the members here.

It's really not a big deal if you really think about it. We are here to learn from each other. Let the moderators moderate. I've seen so many internet user communities rot in waste for lack of moderation policy. The FreeBSD forum is of a higher quality because of it.

Now if there was a way to clone stackoverflows upvote system for further Q&A searches =)

UNIXgod said:
The FreeBSD forum is of a higher quality because of it.

Key point: higher quality. You all switched to FreeBSD because you recognize what higher quality is.

+1 for that suggestion.

matoatlantis said:
But to be polite and answer your question: Yes.
I don't know how old you are but apparently even children can learn this stuff:
When learning English grammar, capitalization rules provide a set of concrete guidelines with few, if any exceptions. English grammar capitalization rules are often the easiest for children to learn since most of them follow a similar pattern and application. Students, whether children or adults learning English, see examples of capitalization rules every day and can find a plethora of examples to support their newfound knowledge.
More homework for you: http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/capitalization/Grammar-Capitalization-Rules.html

@cbrace
I have a problem with it == I don't like using it. I do understand the rules. As you may have noticed I'm following those rules here on forum.
Your comments are not worth commenting further though.

I really like the insistence on proper spelling and grammar here. It makes the forum much more readable and in my opinion makes communication easier. I'm so sick of page after page of childish mistakes and abbreviations on other forums.

I completely agree with and support what DutchDaemon and other Moderators do in this regard.

Unlike some, I went to school and paid attention in Grammar class and while not a prude by any means,am completely appalled by the spelling and grammatical errors constantly displayed online and in some posts I discovered from a few years back on this Forum. It makes for difficult reading and I remember how once I put together a website with the templates provided by someone else and I had to spend hours correcting the guy's spelling and grammar (it was bad!). Not fun.

Recently, after finally getting around to installing and tackling FreeBSD, out of necessity, I started posting in the forum and after seeing how Dutch (and a few others) edited my posts for coding and 'punctuation', etc, have started to learn the format and started 'editing' my own posts, accordingly! It's not hard; I don't take it personally, because I'm an adult, but, more importantly, I can see the value of it!

There is no excuse for it. Email programs, Browsers, etc, all have spellcheckers, and one can always do what I do if not sure, do a Web Search for that word and the correct spelling will come back (and for me that means British English -colour,not color).

If you don't like, or take offense to having your posts edited, don't post!I

wblock@ said:
The first ten posts of new posters are moderated as an anti-spam measure.
Now that you mention it: That sounds vaguely familiar. If I didn't have my mind on a million different things, I might even have remembered knowing that at some point. Sorry to have pestered you for what is almost certainly a FAQ.

wblock@ said:
I don't see an edited message in that thread, but DutchDaemon and other moderators sometimes edit messages to use the correct markup, or to be more readable.
I see I inadvertently touched a raw nerve, with some, with that question.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Jim

May I also throw some rambling into this?
Yes, DD can be a pain in the neck, but he is our pain in the neck. And when HE is on vacation, I actually miss him.

Yes, it irritates when he changes your posts, but then again he has an uncanny knack for translating whatever some babelfish translated from chinese to italian into something which can be read and understood. If his meddeling with my posts to correct some spelling is the price to pay for that, I pay it gladly.

So please all calm down and ask yourself what got you off your handle, count to ten, look into a mirror and ask "Why did that get on my nerves?"

It's quite possible I edited the OP's thread.

I'd hate to rain on everybody's parade but for the past months I edited a lot more posts than DutchDeamon.

Back