Modem/Router running FreeBSD or OpenBSD?

The thing that I find strange is price. They seem to be all over the place.

I do not know how the IT market works, but often on others markets the retailers buy products from the maker with 40% off the street price (the actual price expected the product to be sold, not the list price). Big retailers/distributors sometimes manage to acquire products up to 70% off of the street price.

I'm late to the discussion, but here goes. For the above two comments, the big vendors offer pricing discounts based on volume. So some sellers can offer significantly lower pricing because they get significantly higher discounts.

I am curious to hear from SirDice as to whether you can still use the EOL Juniper device.

I'm hurt that you would not ask for me, a networking guy, to chime in. hehe
Vendors like Juniper typically don't declare a product EoL. Instead they declare End of Sale, and End of Support. After End of Sale you can still buy support. After End of Support you cannot buy support for it. But the Juniper devices are solid. They can run years after. But the important thing to ask youself is what happens if me EoS router dies at 2:00am and I have no spare. So always evaluate your real requirements, ask yourself what is the the problem you are trying to fix, and buy the appropriate amount of support and/or sparing.

My requirements are:
  • Can do WiFi and Ethernet with at least 5 ports
  • Allows for root console access or has a SUPER rich web interface
  • Can run a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel (Uses IP protocol 41)
  • Can run DHCPv6 and/or router advertisement (rtadvd)
  • Can do OpenVPN as server and/or client
  • Small form-factor - Something designed for home use, not for a server rack
I was asking for something more for a home user. I would be cool with something high-end if its EoL and therefore significantly cheaper.

So it would seem to be you have two choices. (1) Build your own machine using hardware verfied to work with FreeBSD. (2) Or buy a Juniper device that is cheap because it is end of life.

I think the Juniper SRX300 is a slick little device, but it does not do WiFi.

Back