Minimalist phone for smart people

I can’t live without my smartphone. VPN and ssh apps can be very handy from time to time if you need accessing your infra urgently and while on the move. :)

I can’t live without my smartphone. VPN and ssh apps can be very handy from time to time if you need accessing your infra urgently and while on the move. :)
It will be interesting to talk with you about 20 -30 years and ask you how is life without smartphone but I am old...

Exactly, if people can't live without a flip phone, they seriously being controlled by either technology, or capitalism or something else.

There are jobs, where companies ask employees to be constantly online (emails, phone calls,...), which implies to have the smart phone (iphone, blackberry,...).

I have a feature phone for the moment. But I have to confess that I put some (wasted?) money in the Librem 5 project. Waiting to see the final product now.
Purism (linked to the Librem 5 project) just launched a kind of app store. It is called Librem One. They just rebranded and slightly modified existing software without giving them (an their authors) credit. Needless to say I am not happy.

-- Edit --
Here is the justification (source):
"By putting services under a centralized brand, we make these decentralized services just as convenient to use as the big tech alternatives. That way an end-user doesn’t have to know what Matrix, ActivityPub, or even IMAP are or try to find all of the applications that work with those services on their particular platform. Instead, they just need to know that they want to chat, join social media, or send email."

The fact that people often mix CyanogenOS with CyanogenMod is very unfortunate. (long rant incoming)

CyanogenMod was the community-driven opensource project.
CyanogenOS was a commercial project born from some CyanogenMod devs with deals with Microsoft at some points.

CyanogenOS raised controversies. At some point the name "Cyanogen" was tainted, the infrastructure was not available anymore and CyanogenMod had to re-brand/move to greener pastures or die: Enters LineageOS.

I never understood the idea behind CyanogenOS.
CyanogenMod was better/free/gratis/funnier than the commercial "similar" solution.
I might be wrong but isn't selling support a better alternative ? RedHat is selling support, not a commercial/paid version of Linux for example.
Also, couldn't they pick a distinct name like IndigoOS, Fuschia (ha!), Blues, RainbOS... ? At the time, it looked as if they were purposely misleading new comers. I blame them for that.

tl;dr: Forget Cyanogen*. LineageOS is all you need to remember. (that and copperheados and some other stuff)

There is a simillar story to be told with µBlock and uBlock Origin.
What Chris did is despicable. He basically hijacked a beloved project and turned it into a cash grab (µBlock)
That is why Raymond Hill had to create uBlock Origin and also is a hero to my eyes (like Blender leader and VLC leader).

I have no problem with people making money or doing scames out of libre, open-source but they should have the courage to create their own brand and build from here.
Hi-jacking a brand is despicable and saying basically "Yeah, I ruined the project but that is ok, you can fork the code" is not an acceptable answer.

Back