Midnight Commander on Mate desktop 12.2 & 13.0

On 13.0 I just noticed that I got the following message on installation of mc.

'Note that the stack overflow handling functions of this library need
procfs mounted on /proc'
Could this be the problem? What would be the full entry in /proc

'Note that the stack overflow handling functions of this library need
procfs mounted on /proc'
Could this be the problem? What would be the full entry in /proc

Hello,

to mount procfs on /proc you need to do the following:

mount -t procfs proc /proc

To make it permanent, you need the following line in /etc/fstab:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

Y
Does /usr/local/bin/mc exist? That's where it should be installed. If it's there and you can't run it then it sounds like a permissions problem. Are you root?
Yes it exists with the following permissions;
owner=root
group=wheel
permissions=read & write.
I managed to launch mc @ root after getting write permission with xterm chown but the file (sh) has only unintelligible ^@'s.
I'm struggling with permissions at the moment. What is the proper octal to get user permission? Thanks.

Y

owner=root
group=wheel
I managed to launch mc @ root after getting write permission with xterm chown but the file (sh) has only unintelligible ^@'s.
I'm struggling with permissions at the moment. What is the proper octal to get user permission? Thanks.
You could run chmod 777 /usr/local/bin to see if it makes any difference.. also start mc using mc -a or mc -c which might make it more intelligible

owner=root
group=wheel
You have messed up your file permissions. A binary needs the executable flag (but no write permission). Reinstall your Midnight Commander package, that should fix it: pkg install -f mc

You have messed up your file permissions. A binary needs the executable flag (but no write permission). Reinstall your Midnight Commander package, that should fix it: pkg install -f mc
Thanks for your help, particularly re the flag issue. It now works.

You could run chmod 777 /usr/local/bin to see if it makes any difference.. also start mc using mc -a or mc -c which might make it more intelligible
Thanks for your help, it works now. It looks like the (Mate) Applications Places System is trying to put xterm on the desktop to open mc but it doesn't succeed in doing so. Not a big deal, but it is inconvenient to have to go to root/xterm to open it when working as a desktop user. In other words mc will only open in the root environment.
I assume that when going to root with xterm that the desktop stays in user mode, regardless, if it was there before going to root?

I've never used Mate, I Iike LXDE which is nice and simple. You click on the Applications menu and up pop numerous categories including System Tools and by some magic when you install mc it automatically appears in that category, although I personally like to open LXTerminal and run it from there.

Back