memstick image is not booting OS

Hi All,

I'm just trying FreeBSD for the 1st time.

My initial impression is one of disappointment.

I downloaded FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img.xz and unzipped it and successfully installed it on my USB Flash drive using the dd command.

It appears to boot, initially, but after finishing probing of Block Devices the final output is the following.

Code:
Consoles: EFI console
I am using a Lenovo B590 Laptop with 8GB RAM and Core i5 3230M CPU.

UEFI is enabled but Secure Boot is Disabled. I have Windows 8.1 on 1 of the partitions.

Thanks, MTB.

Hi All,

I'm just trying FreeBSD for the 1st time.

My initial impression is one of disappointment.

I downloaded FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img.xz and unzipped it and successfully installed it on my USB Flash drive using the dd command.

It appears to boot, initially, but after finishing probing of Block Devices the final output is the following.

Code:
Consoles: EFI console
I am using a Lenovo B590 Laptop with 8GB RAM and Core i5 3230M CPU.

UEFI is enabled but Secure Boot is Disabled. I have Window$ 8.1 on 1 of the partitions.

Thanks, MTB.

Download this
FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
without .xz
then copy it to usb by
dd bs=1M if=FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/XX
XX = your usb name

Download this
FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
without .xz

It's the same file, as contained in the .xz archive, that I installed to the Flash Drive with the dd command.

What difference will that make?

The Checksums are correct also.

It's the same file, as contained in the .xz archive, that I installed to the Flash Drive with the dd command.

What difference will that make?

The Checksums are correct also.
i'dont' konw what's the problem exactly but that's i did only and it worked for me and maybe you.

EFI booting problems are one of the biggest FreeBSD issues it would seem. I would disable UEFI and enable CSM.

I am still not sure what UEFI gives us that would make this hassle worth it.
EFI Framebuffer really seems fragile and breaks on quite a few computers.

I do a legacy install on every board possible. To do this you must fiddle with the bios.
This includes making UEFI-mode USB drive disabled. Then(after disabling UEFI USB Boot choice) you might notice another mode for the USB memstick. PMAP USB. This mode will allow a legacy install. Some boards the last bios screen(Save Settings) will have a boot override. This will also allow you to pick the PMAP USB mode versus UEFI USB mode.

For a test you could use the 32bit version as it has no EFI.

EFI booting problems are one of the biggest FreeBSD issues it would seem. I would disable UEFI and enable CSM.

I am still not sure what UEFI gives us that would make this hassle worth it.
EFI Framebuffer really seems fragile and breaks on quite a few computers.

I do a legacy install on every board possible. To do this you must fiddle with the bios.
This includes making UEFI-mode USB drive disabled. Then(after disabling UEFI USB Boot choice) you might notice another mode for the USB memstick. PMAP USB. This mode will allow a legacy install. Some boards the last bios screen(Save Settings) will have a boot override. This will also allow you to pick the PMAP USB mode versus UEFI USB mode.

For a test you could use the 32bit version as it has no EFI.

Hi Phishfry,

Thanks for the feedback.

You would think by now that the BSD community, especially the biggest player FreeBSD, would have this properly analysed and working as a lot of the Linux community has.

Unfortunately, what you are proposing is too much hassle for me.

Hasta luego, MTB.

I also had this issue where the *memstick.img after writing to USB from windows would not boot correctly. Only after using a liveCD USB image of Linux (Yumi) to boot from, and using the "dd if=FreeBSD-.-RELEASE-amd64.memstick.img of=/dev/adb0 bs=1M" command (swap adb0 for your USB device) could I get it to boot correctly and install RELEASE 12.

Back