Serial Number: C02WC0W5G8WL
UUID: 069f46ff-83ea-5bb4-ac24-49662394d78e
Wake-up Type: Power Switch
SKU Number:
Family: MacBook Pro

Ideally I would like:
  • Sound through the laptop speakers
  • Sound through the headphones
  • Automatically use the laptop speakers or headphones whether or not the headphones are plugged in
  • Microphone in the laptop working
  • Microphone from the headphones working
If I set the default_unit to 2 then sounds works in the headphones, but sound never works in the laptop speakers initially. I have tried messing with sysctl to find what hints I could use. The closest I have gotten is setting sysctl dev.hdaa.1.gpio_config="0=set 1=disable 2=disable 3=disable 4=disable 5=disable". That gets sound going from the laptop speakers but they sound really tinny and muffled. Plus when I set that no matter what default_unit I set sound still plays through the laptop speakers.

Here is a number of informative bits: gist of information.

Any guidance or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was able to get the speakers and headphones working for sound. I have yet to figure out how to get input working from either the mic built into my Macbook Pro or the headphones when those are plugged in. Marking this as solved since the initial problem is solved. Will open a new thread about the mic later.

Hi, codedmart.
I have the same computer and experienced the same problem. Your code has helped me immensely. I use NomadBSD and GhostBSD (FreeBSD 12.1) My MacBook Pro 8,1 ( Early 2011) 13 inch yields audio without any need for manual configuration when running NomadBSD 1.3.2. My MacBook 11,4 ( Mid 2015) ,however, requires this :

sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=2

and this enables sound from the headphone port only.

Yes, the internal speakers sound tinny, but the for my purposes it is adequate.

Thanks a million.

Back