localhost:631 printer problem (SOLVED)

I sure can:

You can substitute pkg for ports and it will be a whole lot easier for you. Follow it to the letter and barring hardware problems you'll have a desktop same as I'm running, more or less depending on which 3rd party programs you choose, in 3 hours tops.

That does not include the Editing of files and tweaking of programs to your liking, but you'll get that done easily enough.

I'm a 64 year old 10th Grade Dropout. If I can do it you should be able to, don't cha think?

If you want a different laptop buy a Business Lease Return Thinkpad W520 on ebay for less than $300. They come in bulk so it's luck of the draw which one they pick. I'm using one now I got for $286 delivered, have another I got cheaper serving as my .mp3 player and love them both.

Otherwise watch for shiny spots on the spacebar and keys for signs of heavy use if buying from an individual seller and always check their Rep before buying. Avoid them if they have a history of bad sales.

I sure can:

You can substitute pkg for ports and it will be a whole lot easier for you. Follow it to the letter and barring hardware problems you'll have a desktop same as I'm running, more or less depending on which 3rd party programs you choose, in 3 hours tops.

That does not include the Editing of files and tweaking of programs to your liking, but you'll get that done easily enough.

I'm a 64 year old 10th Grade Dropout. If I can do it you should be able to, don't cha think?

If you want a different laptop buy a Business Lease Return Thinkpad W520 on ebay for less than $300. They come in bulk so it's luck of the draw which one they pick. I'm using one now I got for $286 delivered, have another I got cheaper serving as my .mp3 player and love them both.

Otherwise watch for shiny spots on the spacebar and keys for signs of heavy use if buying from an individual seller and always check their Rep before buying. Avoid them if they have a history of bad sales.
Even dropouts are really good at something. In history there have been some school teachers who have abused students by grossly underestimating their ability, telling them they will never amount to anything. Not a few of these kids have gone on to be super successful. Their abilities were never recognised by the system. Look at your special success now. What you have achieved with FBSD is no mean feat. Good on you!

I am trying to setup my new mono HP LaserJet Pro M404dn, having already downloaded pkg hplip 3.20.6
I am trying to open http://localhost:631/printers to enable cups but the address does not work.
Is it permanently down?
make sure you're in the right groups

you'll have to find out which ones, but wheel, operator and cups are probably the ones to join.

make sure you add yourself to a group instead of replacing any membership:

Code:
# pw groupmod operator -m me

Could you now finally give me help to setup localhost:631... Why not have a default proforma pf config file...
Activation of packet filters does not occur by default when installing FreeBSD.

Others have mentioned, and I can only re-iterate, that packet filters have been added (either directly, or indirectly) by something you have explicitly chosen to do.

Packet filters have the capacity to interfere with all aspects of network operation, and they are not something we expect to find when discussing a printer setup with somebody new to the system.

I previously suggested that you examine the reason that packet filters have been activated, and consider getting rid of them (comment out everything in /etc/rc.conf containing "pf_", and reboot). You really do need to stop and ask why the packet filters are there! Their configuration and maintenance requires expert knowledge. Removing them is likely to avert many other "mysterious" network related maladies!

Then, just to make sure that we are at a known starting point, please reboot, and show us:
  • the entire contents of the file /etc/rc.conf (use the "Attach files" button);
  • the output of " ps auxw | grep cups" (cut and paste); and
  • the output of " ifconfig -a" (cut and paste).
Armed with that information, and known position, we can move forward to get the printer working.

make sure you're in the right groups

you'll have to find out which ones, but wheel, operator and cups are probably the ones to join.

Code:
jitte@bakemono:~ $ whoami
jitte
jitte@bakemono:~ $ groups jitte
jitte wheel operator
jitte@bakemono:~ $

Activation of packet filters does not occur by default when installing FreeBSD.

Others have mentioned, and I can only re-iterate, that packet filters have been added (either directly, or indirectly) by something you have explicitly chosen to do.

Packet filters have the capacity to interfere with all aspects of network operation, and they are not something we expect to find when discussing a printer setup with somebody new to the system.

I previously suggested that you examine the reason that packet filters have been activated, and consider getting rid of them (comment out everything in /etc/rc.conf containing "pf_", and reboot). You really do need to stop and ask why the packet filters are there! Their configuration and maintenance requires expert knowledge. Removing them is likely to avert many other "mysterious" network related maladies!

Then, just to make sure that we are at a known starting point, please reboot, and show us:
  • the entire contents of the file /etc/rc.conf (use the "Attach files" button);
  • the output of " ps auxw | grep cups" (cut and paste); and
  • the output of " ifconfig -a" (cut and paste).
Armed with that information, and known position, we can move forward to get the printer working.
All packet filter entries have now been removed from /etc/rc.conf & I have successfully setup the printer in localhost:631. The printer is now fully working.
Thank you for your contribution.

I sure can:

I'm sorry if I confused you.
What I was really asking is there a way to go from my present 12.2 to, say, a major version such as 13, perhaps, by a not entirely standard upgrade methodology, but rather one that would avoid the potential occurrence of errors, indeed one that has the most chance of success . For me, at this early stage of my journey, it would be a heartbreaking exercise to have to go back to scratch & reinstall. I'm sort of paranoid about that happening.

And, could continuity be served by integrating a backup of suitable files from 12.2 to 13 in this example?

This question should probably more correctly reside as an OP separately & elsewhere on this forum.

No, no, no. A Mac won’t help here either

dalpets, safe yourself a lot of time and money. Sell the printer, buy a ball pen, and transcribe from the screen, what you can’t print anyways.
Were you really asking me to give up! That's not my way. I hope you were smiling when you said that.
Anyways, too late mate! It's fully working & I'm up & away now

Without pretending to read their mind, I think they were joking. It's obviously a silly answer.
Congratulations on taking the time and getting it working. You can mark the thread as solved, if you wish, by editing the first post. You'll see there's a place where you have a dropdown box, I think, to give it a prefix and Solved is one of the choices.

What I was really asking is there a way to go from my present 12.2 to, say, a major version such as 13, perhaps, by a not entirely standard upgrade methodology, but rather one that would avoid the potential occurrence of errors, indeed one that has the most chance of success . For me, at this early stage of my journey, it would be a heartbreaking exercise to have to go back to scratch & reinstall. I'm sort of paranoid about that happening.

And, could continuity be served by integrating a backup of suitable files from 12.2 to 13 in this example?
If anything, I would say the standard upgrade/updating process would be the easiest way to minimize issues on a working system. The system does not mess with any of the configurations you've had made without your consent, like anything installed from the ports/packages (those are in /usr/local/*). Reinstalling isn't always an solution, especially like this, where it is a configuration issue; as you will still encounter the same problem regardless.

As with anything, always make a backup before you update/upgrade your system (there are some tools already available so you can easily do so). Also Freebsd-upgrade does have some functionality on rolling back an upgrade too (though backups again are still recommended anyways).

For me, at this early stage of my journey, it would be a heartbreaking exercise to have to go back to scratch & reinstall. I'm sort of paranoid about that happening.
That's exactly what I would do, and what I do every time. That way I know exactly what I'm going to end up with before I start and get a clean build every time.

By doing something once it seems hard and a heartbreaking exercise to you. Next time you do it you will have done it once and remember some of the things that gave you a hard time. Each time you will learn more and it will get easier every time as you learn to work through those problems.

If it's a scary proposition now don't expect it to get any less so if you let it get the best of you.

What I was really asking is there a way to go from my present 12.2 to, say, a major version such as 13, perhaps, by a not entirely standard upgrade methodology, but rather one that would avoid the potential occurrence of errors, indeed one that has the most chance of success .
No!!! At this stage of your learning curve, DO NOT even consider trying to do upgrades or anything else for matter using "a not entirely standard upgrade methodology". Stick to the recommending methods in the handbook and elsewhere. The vast majority of the time, those methods will work and are the safest way of doing it.

No!!! At this stage of your learning curve, DO NOT even consider trying to do upgrades or anything else for matter using "a not entirely standard upgrade methodology". Stick to the recommending methods in the handbook and elsewhere. The vast majority of the time, those methods will work and are the safest way of doing it.
I might have given the impression that I was looking for some outrageous alternative. That was not the case. Just fishing to see if there might be a more optimum version of existing documentation that someone had engineered :)

Back