localhost:631 printer problem (SOLVED)

pkg install cups says it's already installed?

This works for me, in the URL of your browser - type localhost:631/admin; but, before that make sure cupsd_enable="YES" is in your rc.conf file.
Good Printing if all goes well and your printer is listed. Also, I always install gutenprint from packages.

This works for me, in the URL of your browser - type localhost:631/admin; but, before that make sure cupsd_enable="YES" is in your rc.conf file.
Good Printing if all goes well and your printer is listed. Also, I always install gutenprint from packages.
Where do I find rc.conf (I can't see it in my directory tree?)

I wrote above the command line on how to start cupsd immediately. This shows what a command line entry looks like.

Also, in the link "CUPS on FreeBSD", shows the directory where the file resides, so it will be on when the computer reboots. /etc/rc.conf

shows where files are.

You're not doing your part, and reading what we have showed you.

I wrote above the command line on how to start cupsd immediately. This shows what a command line entry looks like.

Also, in the link "CUPS on FreeBSD", shows the directory where the file resides, so it will be on when the computer reboots. /etc/rc.conf

shows where files are.

You're not doing your part, and reading what we have showed you.
but I did that!

RC.CONF(5) shows 3 rc.conf files but they are read only files. No one has yet answered where the r.conf is located so that I can apply the line cupsd-enable="YES"
An answer would be appreciated. Thanks.

You also haven't figured out you need to be root to edit that file?

Maybe you're misreading something? The file people are referring to is /etc/rc.conf. It seems odd that you wouldn't know of it, but who knows?
As far as cups goes, I find I also have to install the cups-filters package as well. Anyway, rc.conf aside, you can, as was mentioned, immediately start cups once it's installed by running, with root privilege
service cupsd onestart
One can use onestart when you don't have a service defined in /etc/rc.conf (or a few other places). Then you can check if it's running with
service cupsd onestatus

If it is, then you should be able to go to localhost:631 in your browser.

Then you're either in single user mode or you enabled a security level.

Maybe you're misreading something? The file people are referring to is /etc/rc.conf. It seems odd that you wouldn't know of it, but who knows?
As far as cups goes, I find I also have to install the cups-filters package as well. Anyway, rc.conf aside, you can, as was mentioned, immediately start cups once it's installed by running, with root privilege
service cupsd onestart
One can use onestart when you don't have a service defined in /etc/rc.conf (or a few other places). Then you can check if it's running with
service cupsd onestatus

If it is, then you should be able to go to localhost:631 in your browser.
Both commands say it is already running on pid 1403, but localhost:631 can't be opened, either admin or otherwise
I've been in 631 succesfully with other iterations of FBSD, so I don't understand why it won't work now.
Have tried it on Windows computers with connection refusal there also. A Google search indicates others have had the problem too with linux/unix. Two have said they got it to work after telling the system 'no proxy server'. How would I do that here?

In firefox, click the 3 bars at the upper right, go to preferences, and put network in the search box. Click that, and the first section, I think, gives you the option of choosing no proxy. If you have more than one browser, try another browser to see if you can get that localhost:631. It should take you to a cups page. You shouldn't have to do that as root. You can go as a user with doas or sudo privilege, and it will ask for that password, if I remember the setup correctly.

There may be some info in the logs. Theres a /var/log/cups/access.log and /var/log/cups/error.log, They might give a clue.

In firefox, click the 3 bars at the upper right, go to preferences, and put network in the search box. Click that, and the first section, I think, gives you the option of choosing no proxy. If you have more than one browser, try another browser to see if you can get that localhost:631. It should take you to a cups page. You shouldn't have to do that as root. You can go as a user with doas or sudo privilege, and it will ask for that password, if I remember the setup correctly.

There may be some info in the logs. Theres a /var/log/cups/access.log and /var/log/cups/error.log, They might give a clue.
I disabled the proxy setting in firefox to no avail. Also tried wget in the terminal, but that just times out.
var/logs/cups has no access or error log files. I have also disabled my firewall setting. Using 127.0.0.1 doesn't work either.
Thanks for your contribution.

Back