Linux Binary - SDL Error: Could not initialize UDEV

This is for the pico8 binary specifically, which is only distributed for Linux, MacOS and Windows currently.

So I've installed the necessary emulator port (emulator/linux_base-c7) to provide the necessary libraries, etc. and have linux.ko, linux_common.ko, linux64.ko loaded.

So I understand that udev isn't used on BSD. So I installed libdevd-udev following the instructions specified here: https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/libudev-devd, recompiling x11/xorg-server as specified.

And this is where I've left off. I'm not sure exactly where to go from
here to "enable udev" or the functionality which libudev-devd seems
to provide.
 
Sorry for necro posting. But for future reference the solution for this issue is:
  1. Compile libSDL2 for CentOS/RockyLinux with libudev disabled (i.e. clone the SDL repo, checkout the SDL2 branch)
    1. Install all required dependencies (check the https://git.almalinux.org/rpms/SDL2/src/branch/c9/SPECS/SDL2.spec for the list of build dependencies)
    2. follow the build instructions on the SDL wiki (https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/blob/main/docs/INTRO-cmake.md#configure-and-build)
    3. make sure SDL_LIBUDEV (Wanted: ON): OFF, if necessary pass -DSDL_LIBUDEV=OFF to the configure command
    4. build SDL
    5. copy the library to the pico-8 folder (i.e. the libSDL2-2.0.so.0.3300.0 file)
  2. Instruct pico-8 to use the compiled library with: $ LD_PRELOAD=./libSDL2-2.0.so.0.3300.0 ./pico8_dyn (this works from the FreeBSD side, so no need to be in the compat/linux chroot)
  3. Enjoy
 
Back
Top