Let's try to perform the installation of FreeBSD on the Pocket C.H.I.P :)

Hello.

I've found this old but still nice device that can give me a lot of fun :

It is powered with Linux and one Arm v7 Raspberry Pi board,but ehy : we love FreeBSD. The project that came to my mind is to buy it and try to install FreeBSD there. If I don't get wrong,FreeBSD can be installed without serious problems on the RaspBerry Pi,right ? So,we could have the first handheld computer powered by FreeBSD of the history with the minimum effort. What do you think about the idea ?

These are the specs :
  • 1 gHz ARMv7 Processor
  • 512MB RAM
  • Mali 400 Gpu
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • 5hr Battery
How to install FreeBSD on the Raspy :

I'm trying to find one at a decent price. Someone wants to help ?

Is this not the system that depends on a website in order to get the required firmware? A website that is no longer functioning?

bakul : Do you know if it is powered with a real Raspberry Pi ? Anyway a lot of years have passed since 2016. Today FreeBSD on Arm is better than 2016,at least, I hope.

I bought the original $9 C.H.I.P. boards (on Kickstarter), but not the PocketChip keyboard and display, in 2016. Back then there was one thread about porting FreeBSD to it on the FreeBSD-arm mailing list but I don't think anything came of it. Don't waste your time on it. I too added it to my junkyard of SBCs.

I often wonder if there is some FreeBSD knowledgebase/forum where people could seek ways to rescue old 'junk'.

Is this not the system that depends on a website in order to get the required firmware? A website that is no longer functioning?
No idea! May be see the comments section on the kickstarter page I referenced.
bakul : Do you know if it is powered with a real Raspberry Pi ? Anyway a lot of years have passed since 2016. Today FreeBSD on Arm is better than 2016,at least, I hope.
It is a separate hardware design. RaspberryPi zero was announced at roughly the same time but no connection to PocketChip or C.H.I.P board. Its processor has 32 bitsize words & support for that is already obsolete.
I often wonder if there is some FreeBSD knowledgebase/forum where people could seek ways to rescue old 'junk'.
I doubt it. Hardly any developer wants to rescue old junk. There are sites and people interested resurrecting old devices such as Amiga, Commodore 64 and so forth but they were already quite successful in their day and these people do so out of nostalgia or just because!

It is a separate hardware design. RaspberryPi zero was announced at roughly the same time but no connection to PocketChip or C.H.I.P board. Its processor has 32 bitsize words & support for that is already obsolete.

I can buy only obsolete hardware. I'm playing with my ARM Chromebook since 3 years and I'm enjoying a lot. Even old hardware can give satisfactions.

Anyway,it seems that times are never mature to give birth to the first mobile device powered by FreeBSD. But I'm sure that the time will come.

Here is a repository of possibly helpful code. However there does appear to be a proprietary flashing tool for the ROM on the chip devices.

http://chip.jfpossibilities.com/

Is the flashing proprietary tool a serious obstacle for the installation of FreeBSD on the device ? I gave a look at the flashing code. Some part is not proprietary. I think I can tinker with the files that are installed.

Anyway,it seems that times are never mature to give birth to the first mobile device powered by FreeBSD. But I'm sure that the time will come.

I wonder what’s involved in bootstrapping FreeBSD and Xorg on the PinePhone. According to the wiki we do have support for various Pine SoCs.

Back