Keyboard/Touchpad on Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop

I know that the vast majority of keyboard/touchpad issues come down to missing drivers.

If the built-in input devices (keyboard and touchpad) aren't being recognized, how do you determine exactly which drivers you're missing and have to download?

The good news is that the keyboard does function correctly before launching xfce4 - the touchpad doesn't work either under xfce4.

Will I be able to determine, though, which keyboard driver I have to get by just looking at the driver that works in console mode? If so, how? If that's not the case, how can you determine which driver is needed by Xorg/xfce4?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I will post logs from xorg.0.log once I get to work tomorrow morning.

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Code:
This device may have been added with another device file.
config/udev: Adding input device Control Method Lid Switch (/dev/input/event4)
No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
AT keyboard: Applying InputClass "Evdev keyboard"
AT keyboard: Applying InputClass "KeyboardDefaults"
No input driver specified, ignoring this device

Here is a more complete version of the file:

Code:
9102.753    config/udev: Adding input device AT keyboard (/dev/input/event5)
9102.753    AT Keyboard: Applying InputClass “Evdev Keyboard”
9102.753    AT Keyboard: Applying InputClass “KeyboardDefaults”
9102.754    No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
9102.754    This device may have been added with another device file.
9102.754    config/udev: Adding input device Syn PS/2 Synaptics Touchpad  (/dev/input/event6)
9102.754    No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
9102.754    This device may have been added with another device file.
How should I proceed from here to get the X server to recognize my keyboard and touchpad?

Thank you very much in advance!

I'd just like to ask. Did I post this question in the right place? If not, could you suggest where should I ask for help?

I thought that the FreeBSD forums would be a reasonable place to ask.

I do have x11/libinput and xf86-input-libinput on my system. If you could illustrate how to verify that's installed as dependencies for x11-servers/xorg-server.

Interestingly, I ran pkg which xf86-input-libinput and got /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput was not found in the database.

If it's installed how can it say that it was not found in the database?

SirDice, would that still be the case even for a 2007 Dell laptop?
Irrelevant. It's the kernel that has evdev(4) these days and Xorg that uses it.

Code:
# evdev interface
options         EVDEV_SUPPORT           # evdev support in legacy drivers
device          evdev                   # input event device support
device          uinput                  # install /dev/uinput cdev

Interestingly, I ran pkg which xf86-input-libinput and got /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput was not found in the database.

If it's installed how can it say that it was not found in the database?
You're using pkg-which(8), wrong tool. Try pkg info -x xf86-input-libinput or pkg version -vx xf86-input-libinput.

OK. With pkg info -x xf86-input-libinput I get:

pkg: No package(s) matching xf86-input-libinput

However, I can see it in /usr/ports/x11-drivers. What is the meaning of this?

With pkg info -x xf86-input-libinput I get:

pkg: No package(s) matching xf86-input-libinput

However, I can see it in /usr/ports/x11-drivers. What is the meaning of this?
That means you don't have it installed.

But, why is it listed under /usr/ports/x11-drivers?

Do I just do pkg install xf86-input-libinput and it will be added as a dependency to xorg-server, as T-Deamon said?

But, why is it listed under /usr/ports/x11-drivers?

Do I just do pkg install xf86-input-libinput and it will be added as a dependency to xorg-server, as T-Deamon said?
No. If you installed x11/xorg then it should have been installed because it's a dependency of x11-drivers/xorg-drivers, which in turn is a dependency of x11/xorg. In other words, if you installed x11/xorg then it should already be installed. It sounds like you only installed x11-wm/xfce4 and skipped installing Xorg itself.

xorg-server-1.20.9_1,1 is in the list that pkg info outputs.

Description
X.Org X server and related programs

I downloaded the 12.2.0 GENERIC file and the evdev lines are already on there.

I guess all that there's left to do is install xf86-input-libinput or if it's not already installed and/or make it a dependency of xorg-drivers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess all that there's left to do is install xf86-input-libinput or if it's not already installed and/or make it a dependency of xorg-drivers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Follow the directions in the handbook on how to install Xorg.

T-DEAMON,

getconf LONG_BIT gives "32".
Completely irrelevant because you're running a 32 bit version, so it will report 32. Doesn't say anything about the capabilities of your CPU. What model CPU does this laptop have?

Back