Solved Kernel panic or something like that.

Yeah it's gone. For a reason the cursor is retarded, like aceleration is bad is a little slow.
I forgot to add the user to the groups wheel, operator, "video". It probably didn't accelarated as spected because it wasn't belonging to the video group. I hope that didn't damage the installation of the driver and kde so. Thank you for the reply.

Sure. I'm typing from KDE@FreeBSD right now. I had no clue that /proc is requirement until I saw your post.
Thanks very much. It was listed as a requirement for kde4, and is still listed as required for kde5 according to this FreeBSD handbook entry and this KDE.org setup guide. I've seen other authoritative sources saying that it was still required. On the other hand, this FreeBSD article says that FreeBSD software can use sysctl as a workaround for it, but the same article also suggests that some applications may still require it.

I would personally like to stop mounting /proc, but until it's officially deprecated and removed from the requirements, I'll continue to configure it for my kde5 setups. I've already eliminated hald, but its deprecation seems to be a little better documented, and I've found several ways of working around it where auto-mounting is concerned-- hald can still be used for automounting, and, as far as I know, it's still required for webcam operation to work properly. I don't need or use webcamd, so I don't believe I need hald either.

Thanks very much. It was listed as a requirement for kde4, and is still listed as required for kde5 according to this FreeBSD handbook entry and this KDE.org setup guide. I've seen other authoritative sources saying that it was still required. On the other hand, this FreeBSD article says that FreeBSD software can use sysctl as a workaround for it, but the same article also suggests that some applications may still require it.

I would personally like to stop mounting /proc, but until it's officially deprecated and removed from the requirements, I'll continue to configure it for my kde5 setups. I've already eliminated hald, but its deprecation seems to be a little better documented, and I've found several ways of working around it where auto-mounting is concerned-- hald can still be used for automounting, and, as far as I know, it's still required for webcam operation to work properly. I don't need or use webcamd, so I don't believe I need hald either.
I went to have a coffee, then when I was back, the screen torn all kind of weird colors, like the card wasn't working properly. Like the images, the negatives, but in colors. Does it happen to you?

I went to have a coffee, then when I was back, the screen torn all kind of weird colors, like the card wasn't working properly. Like the images, the negatives, but in colors. Does it happen to you?
No but I'm not using the same graphics driver. Maybe abishai will know what to do.

helmet1080 - If you haven't given up on this effort yet, you might want to try the generic scfb graphics driver, which worked okay on my old Radeon graphics card, although it didn't offer graphics accelleration or other perks. If you decide to try it, back out the changes for the other graphics drivers, add the following file, and reboot:

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver        "scfb"
EndSection

helmet1080 - If you haven't given up on this effort yet, you might want to try the generic scfb graphics driver, which worked okay on my old Radeon graphics card, although it didn't offer graphics accelleration or other perks. If you decide to try it, back out the changes for the other graphics drivers, add the following file, and reboot:

/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-scfb.conf
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Card0"
    Driver        "scfb"
EndSection
The driver works ok. I like the acceleration with KDE Plasma. The weird colors come when I don't use the computer. I can stay this way I think. Maybe I should I'll get a Nvidia video card later soon. Thank you for the reply.

I recently saw a post on this forum where someone was trying to get a pro audio sound card (M-audio audiophile 24/96) working with FreeBSD, and I kinda rolled my eyes because (chance of success = OS ubiquity * hardware ubiquity).
Sadly I've concluded that the same is true, to a lesser extent, of using FreeBSD as one's desktop. It's not as crazy as trying to do pro audio on FreeBSD... But it's just choosing to be frustrated when you could just install Linux and not be frustrated.
I just installed the KDE spin of Fedora on my ThinkPad and it's like a weight has been lifted. Im no longer trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

I recently saw a post on this forum where someone was trying to get a pro audio sound card (M-audio audiophile 24/96) working with FreeBSD, and I kinda rolled my eyes because (chance of success = OS ubiquity * hardware ubiquity).
Sadly I've concluded that the same is true, to a lesser extent, of using FreeBSD as one's desktop. It's not as crazy as trying to do pro audio on FreeBSD... But it's just choosing to be frustrated when you could just install Linux and not be frustrated.
I just installed the KDE spin of Fedora on my ThinkPad and it's like a weight has been lifted. Im no longer trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

I love that I found KDE Plasma. That's why I went back to Linux. I couldn't use KDE without the driver accelaration.
I went back to Linux when I wasn't capable of solving this video driver problem. I felt like at home. I came back to FreeBSD to install the correct driver, and when it worked, I felt like the light is back. It was that I wasn't installing the correct driver. To me, FreeBSD is light weight as Linux. When you don't have driver accelaration, KDE is so slow though.

I'm here because it'd be nice to learn how to develop drivers for FreeBSD, and kernel development with FreeBSD. I read on a website that the FreeBSD is about the design, and Linux about growth. That's why I like FreeBSD, to see a better design. Maybe I learn more about design of Unix with FreeBSD. I think I alway can change my mind later, and turn to Linux or both systems at the same time. I have installed both system, on differents disks without a dual boot. I don't how to cofigure grub yet.

Thanks for the reply.

This side discussion inspired me to look a little deeper into my own configuration, where, just by dumb luck it seems, plus, I guess, a little cleverness and ingenuity on the part of Xorg's programmers, I'm actually using a VESA VBE Version 3.0 driver, which does, in fact, provide some level of graphics acceleration, according to the linked article. The dumb luck on my part comes from my blind choice through trial and error of some older hardware which happens to be fairly well supported by Xorg. According to /var/log/Xorg.0.log I am using:
Code:
[   296.325] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: Intel(r)915G/915GV/910GL Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
... with no special configuration necessary. Some time back, while just trying things out, I installed a graphics/drm-kmod driver on this system. It worked okay in general, but seemed a little bit glitchy, and, by default, it wanted to keep my video resolution at 1280x1024 even when in text mode. By force of habit I'm already all-too-well accustomed to using a lower resolution text monitor with a good 24 row x 80 column character display mode, so I backed out the drm-kmod driver, and continue to use and be happy with the VBE driver.

When I still had the Acer laptop with its AMD Radeon R5 graphics card, I was never quite so happy with the scfb driver, and so attempted repeatedly to use other drivers, without any success, including experimental amdgpu drivers which were in a slow protracted process of being developed at, and imported from, GNU/Linux. If I had kept the laptop, it's possible that the new and improved drm-kmod drivers might have worked well with that system. I'll never know now, since I no longer have that Acer, but no regrets, and there were other reasons why I just didn't like that laptop. In particular I just don't like the way AMD encumbers its hardware and obfuscates its drivers with OEM restrictive technologies and legal obstacles at seemingly every opportunity. In future I plan and hope to make better and more well-informed choices before buying new hardware, with FreeBSD compatibility one of my foremost considerations, right alongside software and hardware Freedom in general.

I love that I found KDE Plasma. That's why I went back to Linux. I couldn't use KDE without the driver accelaration.
I went back to Linux when I wasn't capable of solving this video driver problem. I felt like at home. I came back to FreeBSD to install the correct driver, and when it worked, I felt like the light is back. It was that I wasn't installing the correct driver. To me, FreeBSD is light weight as Linux. When you don't have driver accelaration, KDE is so slow though.

I'm here because it'd be nice to learn how to develop drivers for FreeBSD, and kernel development with FreeBSD. I read on a website that the FreeBSD is about the design, and Linux about growth. That's why I like FreeBSD, to see a better design. Maybe I learn more about design of Unix with FreeBSD. I think I alway can change my mind later, and turn to Linux or both systems at the same time. I have installed both system, on differents disks without a dual boot. I don't how to cofigure grub yet.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes KDE plasma is amazing - the Breeze Dark theme is truly beautiful. It is just as modern looking as macOS ' dark mode!
I use an Ubuntu Unity inspired theme though - not a huge fan of taskbar. I could probably get dark mode AND a Unity-style dock if I tinkered a bit, but I already have too much drama in my life.
That's great that you want to do kernel development - I don't think I could take the pressure of knowing that a simple off-by-one error in my code could bring down systems all over the world. I wouldn't be able to sleep.
If I wanted to do kernel development, I would choose FreeBSD, for the same reasons you cited.
Best wishes.

Back