Kernel panic after upgrade to 14-STABLE

Hi, I just upgraded from 13-STABLE to 14-STABLE and was unable to fully boot, experiencing random vm_faults
I'm currently unable to examine the core dump :

Code:
[root@numenor crash]# gdb /boot/kernel.old/kernel vmcore.last
GNU gdb (GDB) 13.1 [GDB v13.1 for FreeBSD]
Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-portbld-freebsd13.2".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /boot/kernel.old/kernel...
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/debug//boot/kernel.old/kernel.debug...
"/var/crash/vmcore.last" is not a core dump: file format not recognized

I did rebuild a full FreeBSD 13-STABLE from sources, reinstalled it and rebooted fine

Regards,

Xavier

Upgraded two machines from stable/13 to stable/14 this weekend. Didn't have any issues. That said, it's still in the alpha stage, so there may still be some issues that need to be worked out.

Note that the packages for 14-stable might be a little old. There's a new build running at the moment. There's no misc/compat13x yet either. So be careful doing the upgrade, don't delete-old-libs.

Both my home boxes were crashing after the upgrade to stable/14 because of drm-kmod (one i915kms, another amdgpu)

drm-kmod (one i915kms, another amdgpu)
Rebuild these from ports.

This doesn't look too good:
Code:
default	default	14stable-amd64	157c391cc1f5	34587	31577	71	2577	362	0	stopped:crashed:	Sat, 26 Aug 2023 02:04:32 GMT	111:52:05	beefy12

Rebuild these from ports.

This doesn't look too good:
Code:
default    default    14stable-amd64    157c391cc1f5    34587    31577    71    2577    362    0    stopped:crashed:    Sat, 26 Aug 2023 02:04:32 GMT    111:52:05    beefy12
Exactly, sorry for not mentioning that - rebuilding from ports doesn't help, boxes still crashed
one with amdgpu was loading the module manually fine, but still crashed on boot until i removed the module from loading
one with i915kms crashed both during manual loading and on boot
in the end i left one with amdgpu alone without drm-kmod, as i don't need it there, and i've upgraded another to current/15, and it works fine here now (typing this commet from that box)
looks like drm-kmod is just broken on stable

I mean. How can 14 be "stable" when the RELEASE hasn't happened yet. Have I missed something?
It used to be "current" until the alphas, betas etc start being built.

EDIT: It says on releng page: main: Active development branch for 14.0-CURRENT. So... where does one get a 14-stable?

"stable" refers to the ABI. The ABI is supposed to be stable during the entire lifecycle of a major version. And by 'stable' they mean, no breaking changes.

So... where does one get a 14-stable?

You get 14-STABLE by checking out the stable/14 branch of the source code. The main branch aka -CURRENT has now moved on to 15.0-CURRENT.

A stable branch is created first. From this stable branch the various -RELEASE versions are branched off. Some time soon-ish, releng/14.0 will be branched off from the stable/14 branch. This will be the first BETA1 release of 14.0-RELEASE.

"stable" refers to the ABI. The ABI is supposed to be stable during the entire lifecycle of a major version. And by 'stable' they mean, no breaking changes.

You get 14-STABLE by checking out the stable/14 branch of the source code. The main branch aka -CURRENT has now moved on to 15.0-CURRENT.

A stable branch is created first. From this stable branch the various -RELEASE versions are branched off. Some time soon-ish, releng/14.0 will be branched off from the stable/14 branch. This will be the first BETA1 release of 14.0-RELEASE.

Ah yes, thanks. This is what I've missed :))

Hi

Did you disable all drivers installed from ports or packages before booting into the upgrade. Otherwise do so. The external drivers not in the base system, need to be rebuilt on your system. Prebuilt packages will not always work on Stable. I have myself installed a fresh 14-stable and has after rebuilding and configuration only minor problems. But nothing I would not expect on a new branch.

Hi, I met the same error after upgrading from stable/13 (13.2) to stable/14.
After pkg upgrade, tried by building ports graphics/drm-kmod (510) and graphics/drm-515-kmod. Still panic while kldload of i915kms. And so, pkg autoremove, pkg check -B, all good... and finally pointing: pkg check -d
Checking all packages: 100%
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libz.so.6
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libtinfow.so.9
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libthr.so.3
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libncursesw.so.9
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libm.so.5
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libkvm.so.7
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libcxxrt.so.1
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libc.so.7
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libc++.so.1
Then : pkg install -f llvm15 and kldload was ok !
(T470 Intel GPU / HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2))

Hi, I met the same error after upgrading from stable/13 (13.2) to stable/14.
After pkg upgrade, tried by building ports graphics/drm-kmod (510) and graphics/drm-515-kmod. Still panic while kldload of i915kms. And so, pkg autoremove, pkg check -B, all good... and finally pointing: pkg check -d
Checking all packages: 100%
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libz.so.6
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libtinfow.so.9
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libthr.so.3
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libncursesw.so.9
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libm.so.5
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libkvm.so.7
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libcxxrt.so.1
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libc.so.7
llvm15 is missing a required shared library: libc++.so.1
Then : pkg install -f llvm15 and kldload was ok !
(T470 Intel GPU / HD Graphics 620 (KBL GT2))
You need to build those packages yourself (using poudriere or synth) to get things to work on stable. Prebuilt willl not do it in many cases (and it is clearly the case for you). I am myself happily using 14-STABLE.

You need to build those packages yourself (using poudriere or synth) to get things to work on stable. Prebuilt willl not do it in many cases (and it is clearly the case for you). I am myself happily using 14-STABLE.
Yes, thank you, sorry for being unclear, of course in every case I did build graphics/drm-515-kmod.
The case is that after forcing (re)install of llvm15 (since ldd wasn't resolving some of its libs and was panicking before doing so), everything worked.
I just wanted to testify that it just worked after solving those classic checks with pkg check which gave the solution on this laptop.
FreeBSD c 14.0-STABLE FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #6 stable/14-e30f7d9b9: Mon Sep 25 19:41:10 CEST 2023 root@c:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64
% pkg info drm\*
drm-515-kmod-5.15.25_3
% gtkperf => Total time: 1,71
Happy too !

Hi, nothing really matters I guess (and almost all is frankly outdated / shame):
Code:
SVN_UPDATE="YES"
SVN="/usr/bin/svnlite"
#WITH_PKGNG=yes
OPTIONS_SET=CUPS
#OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT is deprecated, please use DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=linux=c6.
#OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=c6
#OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=c6
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= linux=c7 perl5=5.32
# python=2.7 python2=2.7 python3=3.6
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes
#DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl-devel
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=base
USES= ssl python
MALLOC_PRODUCTION=YES
#MK_DEBUG_FILES=no

Yeah, lots of them don't even work anymore. Time to do some cleaning up there.

Code:
USES= ssl python
That one should definitely be removed. The USES variable should only be used in a port's Makefile.

Back