Keeping my system up to date - after installing custom kernel and programs from ports.

Hello!
First, I'm very new to FreeBSD, so sorry if I am misunderstanding anything.
I recently installed FreeBSD 13.0 release onto my old MacBook, MacBook4,1. (uname -a :
FreeBSD freecrad 13.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE #0: Wed Nov 17 09:41:22 KST 2021 root@freecrad:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/WIFI amd64)

I built and installed a custom kernel since my wlan card is a bcm43xx. The "custom kernel" is just copied generic config and enabled bwn phy? configurations. I saw infos from the wiki's MacMini document and such, the bwn driver, I installed it, and also some programs I don't remember I had may installed from ports instead of the pkg tool.
What I am curious now is, how can I keep my system up to date? Do I need to rebuild the kernel every releases? And what about the program I built from ports? Is there any "updater" program in FreeBSD that auto detects which programs are built from source and builds them again or something...?

Thanks!
Best Regards, HexagonWin.

There are two ways.
When you don't compile from source you can update using "freebsd-update" & "pkg update" & "pkg upgrade".
[Have also a look at /etc/freebsd-update.conf]

When you compile from source it's advised to update from source by updating the sources using "git pull" & then install.
For the compilation of the userland i use "poudriere" but there are other tools.
For the base you can do a "git pull" to update the sources and a "make buildworld" , "make installworld".
For the kernel you can do a "git pull" to update the sources and a "make buildkernel" , "make installkernel".

You have to re-build base -- both kernel and userland.
For minor version update, there's no need to re-build ports.
For major version update, you have to re-build all ports -- due to the possible ABI incompatibility.

There are two ways.
When you don't compile from source you can update using "freebsd-update" & "pkg update" & "pkg upgrade".
[Have also a look at /etc/freebsd-update.conf]

When you compile from source it's advised to update from source by updating the sources using "git pull" & then install.
For the compilation of the userland i use "poudriere" but there are other tools.
For the base you can do a "git pull" to update the sources and a "make buildworld" , "make installworld".
For the kernel you can do a "git pull" to update the sources and a "make buildkernel" , "make installkernel".
Then, as some of my things are directly installed from binary and some are from sources, can I use those freebsd-update, pkg update/upgrade tools to upgrade binaries and use those git and make commands for the source parts?
I actually am not able to understand the meaning of userland and base, afaik isn't the base not touched? I installed with the installer usbstick image.

Thanks. One more question, for the kernel, as I made a new config file based on the default one, when I keep pulling the upstream branch to my local computer, I believe that if a change gets made to the generic config my wifi config wouldn't change and would cause issues. Do I have to copy the generic and add the broadcom lines every time I do the pull?

Thanks a lot! I'm sorry if there are newbie question.
Best Regards, HexagonWin.

the meaning of userland and base
Base means kernel, kerneldrivers and related files, mostly installed in /boot. Userland is the collection of FreeBSD-supplied software tools like grep, sed and awk. Software in ports and packages are supplied by other parties.
Do I have to copy the generic and add the broadcom lines every time I do the pull?
If the GENERIC file changes you must check if your own config file needs that update too. That's why I keep a copy of both files outside /usr/src. GENERIC doesn´t change very often, though.

Back