Kde stops in blank black screen

I have tried too but also as I said before, the only usable/exist account is charlie.
I dont understand what just happened to kde.
All accounts are valid in cli and I can log in to them.
Result of startx -^ by none root account is not more than cli at all.

Kde5 stops after booting on a blank black screen and the only thing that is alive is the "mouse". After some tries, I faced this error:

I'm using a nvidia gt730 video card and the NVIDIA driver is working fine.
Does this happen all the time? I also have a gt730 and get a black screen about 1 in 10 boots.

I then just ssh in and kill one of the kde processes (pkill ksm which kills ksmserver) and then I get back to the login screen with no more problems.

Last edited:
Is it about authentication? Or something like that?
I mean why startx is running with -^ and will not run in normal mode?
After upgrading to 13.2 what happened to kde and other programs/parts of gui ? What kind of problem may cause to my situation?

I had an issue installing FreeBSD 14.0 on an Alienware Steam Machine R1 today. I had to install nvidia-hybrid-graphics and run nvidia-xconfig before I could get an Xsession going. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, I'm using 535 driver on latest package sources.

Are you in: 0(wheel),5(operator),44(video)?

Wheel and operator but not video. Surely that makes no difference for intermittent hangs? I imagine that this is some kind of data race bug (at least for me, maybe not for the OP). I'm using the 470 drivers so I don't think that the linked post applies.

On Jan 8, 2024:
Jan 8 kernel: KLD vboxdrv.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
Jan 8 kernel: linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type
Jan 8 kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 GPU installed in this system is
Jan 8 kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 390.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Jan 8 kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Jan 8 kernel: NVRM: information. The 470.161.03 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Jan 8 kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
Where is this the output coming from?

Given your Nvidia GT 730, it should be supported by x11/nvidia-driver-470 as stated in FreeBSD Display Driver – x64 - 470.161.03 - 2022.11.22 as explicitly mentioned there: "GeForce GT 730" and as is mentioned in message #48.

I take it that you're not running bare metal and are using emulators/virtualbox-ose. I don't know precisely how using an emulator might effect the working of other kernel modules, but it is the first "error" ("an 8 kernel: KLD vboxdrv.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch") that comes up. It would seem that that creates some kind of environment for the rest of the FreeBSD system, including your Nvidia kernel module as referenced in /etc/rc.conf by nvidia-modeset, be it from x11/nvidia-driver-390 or from x11/nvidia-driver-470.

As your message is from Jan 8, your version of emulators/virtualbox-ose is probably not up to date. Ports reported two more recent versions, most notably mentioning "-kmod":
6.1.50 19 Jan 2024 15:24:11
log message: emulators/virtualbox-ose{,-kmod,-additions}: update to 6.1.50
Therefore, I suggest, verify that you're using version 6.1.50_1 - 20 Jan 2024 00:41:39 and try again using x11/nvidia-driver-470

Logged: The 470.161.03 NVIDIA driver will ignore this GPU.

I encountered much the same – explicit ignorance – when I attempted to use x11/nvidia-driver with a non-supported GPU. /var/log/console.log, IIRC.

NVIDIA-provided documentation is sometimes contradictory, or self-contradictory.

Back