KDE games do not run

Hello,

Because OH speeks about a work-around and im my opinion a work around is never a real solution but a temporarily solution until a real solution is found.

I'm still not sure why that's considered a "workaround" in the first place. It fixes the problem. Seems like a solution to me.

Adam

Setting kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed to 1 is iirc a security risk and a performance gain. Users should be able to set it based upon their own performance / security needs, not because a game (or other piece of KDE4-software) requires it.

If you're the only user on the (desktop)-machine (which is a safe assumption if it's running games/kdegames4) the security risk is negligable.

OH said:
A real fix has just been committed (to x11-toolkits/qt4-gui). After installing you can reset your kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed.

Hello, I just installed (re-installed it) and it does not work for me. But I don't get it when you say reset your "kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed". Can you explain that a little more please. Thanks.

adripillo said:
Hello, i just installed (re-installed it) and it does not work for me. But i dont get it when you say reset your "kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed".
Can you explain that a little more please. Thanks.

Please double-check you have
qt4-gui-4.7.4_1 and not
qt4-gui-4.7.4

Setting kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed to 1 one was suggested as a workaround to get the games (and astro/marble) to work (see the link in the second post in this thread).

You can check wether you are affected by this particular problem by doing the following in a terminal:
Code:
$ su
# sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

If the games then work for you, this problem is more persistent than we thought. If the games still won't work for you, then your problem is something else entirely.

OH said:
Please double-check you have
qt4-gui-4.7.4_1 and not
qt4-gui-4.7.4

Setting kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed to 1 one was suggested as a workaround to get the games (and astro/marble) to work (see the link in the second post in this thread).

You can check wether you are affected by this particular problem by doing the following in a terminal:
Code:
$ su
# sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

If the games then work for you, this problem is more persistent than we thought. If the games still won't work for you, then your problem is something else entirely.

Thanks a lot, is fixed now.

Back