Just Installed, No WiFi

Hi,
I hope this is the right forum.
I just installed and from the screen with “cable” connected to router I could:
ping www.yahoo.com
ping www.google.com

Both returned to me data (64 bytes from 216.58…. icmp_seq=11 tt1=109 time=60.234 ms)
Unplugged the cable and got “no route to host”
So I assume it is working.

How can I get WiFi to work?

P.S. I am just a few minutes on BSD.
Thank you.

Thank you very much for your kind support.
I have no intention of regurgitating what's already explained in the handbook. So I suggest you read it, and if you are having problems then ask specific questions about the things you're having problems with.

Hi,
I hope this is the right forum.
I just installed and from the screen with “cable” connected to router I could:
ping www.yahoo.com
ping www.google.com

Both returned to me data (64 bytes from 216.58…. icmp_seq=11 tt1=109 time=60.234 ms)
Unplugged the cable and got “no route to host”
So I assume it is working.

How can I get WiFi to work?

P.S. I am just a few minutes on BSD.
Thank you.
The basic logic to apply here is to look at output of dmesg and see what hardware your kernel can detect on boot. Some newer wi-fi cards don't play well with FreeBSD, but with some upfront effort to figure out what the kernel can detect, and how it shows up - not impossible to make wi-fi work. At least you do have ethernet as plan b. :)

According to the hardware specification of your system the wireless is a Broadcom BCM4313:
Code:
Network: Device-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: wl

You need to install from ports net/bwn-firmware-kmod. There is no package available due to licence restriction. How to install from ports: 4.5. Using the Ports Collection

Well, I did

32.3.2. Quick Start

“almost” everything. Still no luck.

So, I need to connect through a cable and issue some commands to install.
Sounds a bit…. mmm… I feel a bit lost. Vastly different from Linux. But I’m still so interested.
So, I should do the commands shown in “Procedure: Portsnap Method” to install ports and be ready to install net/bwn-firmware-kmod

I will try to do it.
I’ll appreciate helping me with a few specific commands.

Well, I did

32.3.2. Quick Start

“almost” everything. Still no luck.

So, I need to connect through a cable and issue some commands to install.
Sounds a bit…. mmm… I feel a bit lost. Vastly different from Linux. But I’m still so interested.
So, I should do the commands shown in “Procedure: Portsnap Method” to install ports and be ready to install net/bwn-firmware-kmod

I will try to do it.
I’ll appreciate helping me with a few specific commands.
First, plug your ethernet cable back in, and don't unplug it until you get wi-fi to work.

limo : The Portsnap method is for updating the ports tree already on disk (or creating a brand-new ports tree). After that, you still have to cd /usr/ports/net/bwn-firmware-kmod/, and then do make && make install in that directory.

During last install I didn’t select ports…
That's fine. That ports tree is too old now anyway. The easiest way to get an up to date ports tree is to run portsnap fetch extract. To keep that ports tree updated regularly run portsnap fetch update.

The portsnap(8) tool is scheduled to be removed some day, but it'll do for now.

That's fine. That ports tree is too old now anyway. The easiest way to get an up to date ports tree is to run portsnap fetch extract. To keep that ports tree updated regularly run portsnap fetch update.

The portsnap(8) tool is scheduled to be removed some day, but it'll do for now.
What is the planned alternative for fetching the ports after this goes? Or is it just a case that all systems would need to install this package?

What is the planned alternative for fetching the ports after this goes? Or is it just a case that all systems would need to install this package?
There was some noise about a utility called gitup(), but I like portsnap(8) functionality. Looking at the manpages, it looks very possible to replicate Portsnap's functionality (if you're paying attention). From gitup.conf(5):
Code:
Executing:

gitup ports

from the command line would result    in a copy of the freebsd-ports/master
     branch downloaded to /usr/ports.  If /usr/ports does not exist, the
     repository    is cloned.  If it does exist and /var/db/gitup/ports exists,
     the latest    commit to the repository is pulled down    and the    contents of
     /usr/ports/distfiles and /usr/ports/packages are ignored when removing
     stale directories.
Then replicating Portsnap's extract subcommand would involve paying attention to the options given to cp(1), and relative filepaths. EVERY TIME. Not impossible, but makes me grateful that Portsnap exists.

limo you might take this opportunity to begin using latest (instead of quarterly) for packages.

Essentially: create /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf as described at <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/ports/#quarterly-latest-branch>.

Recommendation:
  1. create, activate then boot a boot environment
  2. create the file
  3. logout from KDE
  4. Control-Alt-F2 (takes you away from ttyv8, to ttyv1)
  5. login as root
  6. pkg upgrade -y
  7. exit
  8. Control-Alt-Delete
For step (1) above, with today's date as an example:
  1. as the root user
  2. bectl create 2021-10-05-a
  3. bectl activate 2021-10-05-a
  4. restart

alternative

Well, it’s good I could install nano
pkg install nano
Though trivial at least I did something on my system other than asking questions on the
forum.;)
And just installed lynx

I repeated
Noticed an error
stopped in usr/ports/net/bwn-firmware-kmod-0.1.2/bg/v4
*** Error code 1

UPDATE

Currently installing KDE Plasma (using cable). I found this.
I think I read on the screen something like detecting my hardware and cards and installing automagically required drivers (I hope it’s true).

Just noticed it’s taking ages, (maybe downloading and compiling on my machine)

Back