It's all about jokes, funny pics...

mzxlfEK.gif

I found this paper earlier today.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sd601/papers/mov.pdf

Other than it being generally quite interesting, the very last sentence of the Discussion made me chuckle!

The summarised version is that it is possible for a processor to include only the MOV instruction and still be turing complete. But writing an i.e C compiler for it would be a bloody nightmare! :D

Sure its possible. Check out TOOBSIE, f.e.
I played Tetris on one :)

Also, writing a C compiler for it - simple but boring.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be...

I actually got a ZX81 for Christmas and love it. The interesting thing is that I never had a ZX81 or a Spectrum before, they were actually both a little bit before my time.

So I don't know if it is all nostalgia. I think things back then were just more fun!

Currently tempted for my next personal project either a SDcard tape drive mod or a UHF RF modulator hack so I don't need to send it through 3 different converters to get it running on my LCD monitor haha.

*sheds tear down memory lane*

In the 35c3, someone had this C64 running Geos hooked up to some big a** 4k display with a crystal clear output. Oh my...

And don't get started about the PDP8 or what that beast was.

Back in the '80s played some games on the C64 with friends...fun times...too.

I got to the party late. I had an Atari 2600 and was hooked the minute I powered it up but the 80's was a completely different life for me than the monotonous existence I enure today. Thankfully. Please bear with me, I'm dancing as fast as I can.

The first computer I used was an AppleII in '93 but the first I owned a Win98 machine from Gateway. When I unpacked it the only thing I knew how to do was push the power button to boot it up. I needed to reformat in a week, learning by trial and error being mostly error. My saving grace was realizing early on the importance of computer security, how it positively effected my chances of survival online and my innate google-fu.

I have a Commodore 64C with working power pack. I used my Nintendo Entertainment System TV cord to see if it actually worked since I don't have the cord or monitor. I did have the Instruction Manual but can only lay my hands on the Basic Programming Manual now. Somebody I know found it dumpster diving and gave it to me in 2006. They must have thought it was old and not any good.

I was thrilled. The manuals looked like new.

Yes, I don't feel like a grey beard. I feel scaly.

I wasn't going to breach the subject, and last of all here since it is a serious topic, but since we're all loosely associated with neckbeards, do you find your masculinity toxic? Gillette has a new marketing campaign and commercial that suggest it is so:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/gillette-commercial-toxic-masculinity-debate/

Makes me glad I use a disposable Bic. I had a neckbeard last winter but shaved most of it because it was too unruly. I've decided I'm living the last years of my life to make me happy and will go with the long long, Lord, long hair of my youth instead. I don't care if it all turns gray as long as it doesn't fall out.

And yes, surprisingly to me, some still stare like in the 70's. I thought we were past that but nobody has said anything. I'm toxic and they know it.

I think Feminism is toxic.
They say stuff like “most murderers are men so men are bad”. You might just as well say “most inventors are men so men are good”. IMO, men and women are both good. Incidentally I have a six inch neckbeard so I don’t know if that might be skewing my outlook.

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them... And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.”

“So God created man in his own image”

So God had a neck beard? ;)

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.”

True, but as a developer, God should really have sent his work through Valgrind and reiterated a few times to eliminate memory corruption (death by cancer?), memory leaks (death by old age?) and ensured that the build server produced more consistent results (birth defects?).
Not to mention the code is a complete spaghetti mess and we can barely comprehend what the heck he has done. He must be a Javascript developer!

what the APA did was also, ahem, "problematic" I think.

I agree wholeheartedly. I picked that article randomly and at least it offers an opposing viewpoint.

If there is any question of whether or not I respect women look no further than my bot. She is very strong "woman" as best as I could make her. A lot of the jobs I had in the mental health field had female supervisors I worked under and never had a problem with it.

There was a girl who worked on our labor crew of 6 at the iron foundry I worked at who scooped sand right along with us. Sometimes 60 tons a night for our crew in addition to cleanup in or being called to work in other areas. It was dirty work to say the least because they mixed a gray powder called "seacoal" in with the sand that stuck to you when you sweat.

She would take her shovel and cut about 3"-4" inches off the end so she was carrying less sand than we were but worked just as hard. She would hide it every morning before we got off and we would break it every time we found it, but she'd go make another one. She wasn't as big or musclebound as we were but just as tough and it was only fair.

Back