Python Issue with python pip search functionality

I seem to be having issues with python's pip search functionality, and I'd like to see if there is a workaround before submitting a bug. When I try to run: pip search 'any search paramater' I get the following error message:

Code:
ERROR: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/cli/base_command.py", line 228, in _main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/search.py", line 60, in run
    pypi_hits = self.search(query, options)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/commands/search.py", line 80, in search
    hits = pypi.search({'name': query, 'summary': query}, 'or')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1112, in __call__
    return self.__send(self.__name, args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1452, in __request
    verbose=self.__verbose
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/network/xmlrpc.py", line 45, in request
    return self.parse_response(response.raw)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/xmlrpc/client.py", line 1342, in parse_response
    return u.close()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/xmlrpc/client.py", line 656, in close
    raise Fault(**self._stack[0])
xmlrpc.client.Fault: <Fault -32500: "RuntimeError: PyPI's XMLRPC API has been temporarily disabled due to unmanageable load and will be deprecated in the near future. See https://status.python.org/ for more information.">
Is there a way around this?

You should ask the people who maintain the PyPi service. The answer is very clear: Because of overload of their server, they had to (temporarily?) disable the ability to search pip packages via remote searches (that's the RPC and API they refer to). For now, searching for packages should be done on the web.

I read somewhere that the Python web site maintenance people were looking for donations.

You should ask the people who maintain the PyPi service. The answer is very clear: Because of overload of their server, they had to (temporarily?) disable the ability to search pip packages via remote searches (that's the RPC and API they refer to). For now, searching for packages should be done on the web.

I read somewhere that the Python web site maintenance people were looking for donations.
Thanks for the head up. For some reason I was misreading the message as a technical issue.

I ran into the same thing a few days ago; I'm reinstalling the OS on a Raspberry Pi, and was looking for some PyPi pip packages, so I got the same message, and quickly worked around it.

Back