Is vscode broken ?

Why can't we have the same VS Code that's available for Windows and Mac without the missing stuff?
Most likely due to licensing reasons. While plenty of things of the VSCode application is open source, many of the additional stuff isn't.

It's the same vscode. Just vscode-plugins/extensions can have dependencies... On lot's of stuff.
The editor on linux/freebsd/windows/mac is the same as far as i know.

Most likely due to licensing reasons. While plenty of things of the VSCode application is open source, many of the additional stuff isn't.
Fair enough, but as it's not FreeBSD distributing the extensions, it's curious how this reduction in available extensions from the "store" is peculiar to this instance. The licensing onus would be on the end-user, and as I have those extensions on my other computer, then I've already agreed to them?

Does make sense if the extensions excluded require some kind of Linux/Windows/Mac dependency, but just a bit disappointing that the Microsoft C# extension isn't available for download, for example.

I'm sure there's a decent enough reason, I won't worry my wee brain on the matter.

Is anyone using Lapce instead? It's still in infancy, but maybe the more people start using it, the more chance people contribute and move development along, maybe we could have a solid replacement for the long run.

I use helix as a safe bet, but lapce got more stable these past 3-4 releases (sometimes it crashed losing unsaved work before that on freebsd) and I think they moved to a new UI framework and it shows in performance (floent, from druid unless I'm thinking about something else). There are some cons, but maybe it just needs some love.
It has a plugin system using wasm/wasi, so any language that compiles to wasi can be used to write plugins.
Let us pray.
I would move anywhere I can use some XML plugin (SPL) that I use on VSCode, can you recommend any alternative besides Emacs? 🙏

Thanks! 🙏

I had to rebuild Visual Studio Code from ports too, and it took me 3 days on a Gigabyte Brix nettop. Most of the time was spent in building Electron.

If others want to spare that time, I've uploaded the resulting .pkg, built on FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p6 on amd64 with the default options here: download link - of course, ponder the decision on whether you want to install this binary package from an untrusted source and take your responsibility !
The MD5 of the file is 765c2cd2e7866ad96f3d335a5d3b1f0c.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD minibrix 14.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p6 #0: Tue Mar 26 20:26:20 UTC 2024 root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64

It's quite mind-boggling to me that software can take that much time to compile these days. It's orders of magnitude more than cross-compiling the complete LLVM toolchain itself. Some initial design choices (Node.js etc.) do really not age well. < /troll >

*edit* I can also upload the build of Electron if someone is interested.
[root@minibrix (-bash) /usr/ports/editors/vscode]# pkg info|grep electron
electron28-28.3.0 Build cross-platform desktop apps with JavaScript, HTML, and CSS

Back