Is vscode broken ?

I just installed it from "latest" instead of "quarterly", and it works.
What i don't understand is that there is no dependency on electron ...

See http://beefy16.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=131amd64-default&build=1f6505161e34 (requires IPv6):
1680250451599.png

But I have to admit I have no idea why all electron ports are now "blacklisted". Electron19 (and vscode) builds fine here locally.

pkg install vscode

"No packages available"

Code:
FreeBSD hostname 13.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE releng/13.2-n254617-525ecfdad597 GENERIC amd64

Am I doing something wrong?

I had a look at the link posted in the message previous, and was blinded by all the science.

The breaking has gone. Now i can install electron & vscode from quarterly ports.
From ports? It still isn't working through the RELEASE branch via pkg though?

I've tried to compile it via ports but it's taking forever. It'd be way faster for me to cancel it, and create a VM of Debian Linux just to run VS Code, but I don't really want to do that

vscode depends on electron, which is a big port.
On my pc compiling electron takes 3-hours and compiling vscode 10 minutes.
If you have older hardware you could try to compile overnight ?
[ Note : I have also working install of vscode on devuan-linux & gentoo-linux ]

Hi all,
I trying to install vscode by ports collection. Compiling failed with the message:

===> yarn-node16-1.22.19 depends on executable: node - found
===> Returning to build of yarn-node16-1.22.19
===> Generating temporary packing list
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/stage/usr/local/lib/node_modules/yarn
(cd /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/yarn-v1.22.19/ && /bin/sh -c '(/usr/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 | /usr/bin/cpio -dumpl $2 >/dev/null 2>&1) && /usr/bin/find -Ed $1 $3 \( -type d -exec /bin/sh -c '\''cd '\''$2'\'' && chmod 755 "$@"'\'' . {} + -o -type f -exec /bin/sh -c '\''cd '\''$2'\'' && chmod 0644 "$@"'\'' . {} + \)' COPYTREE_SHARE . /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/stage/usr/local/lib/node_modules/yarn)
install -l rs /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/stage/usr/local/lib/node_modules/yarn/bin/yarn.js /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/stage/usr/local/bin/yarn.js
install -l rs /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/stage/usr/local/lib/node_modules/yarn/bin/yarnpkg /usr/ports/www/yarn-node16/work/stage/usr/local/bin/yarnpkg
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
===> Installing for yarn-node16-1.22.19
===> Checking if yarn-node16 is already installed
===> Registering installation for yarn-node16-1.22.19 as automatic
Installing yarn-node16-1.22.19...
===> electron22-22.3.17 depends on package: yarn-node16>0 - found
===> Returning to build of electron22-22.3.17
if [ ! -f /usr/ports/distfiles/electron/electron-yarn-cache-22.3.17.tar.xz ]; then /bin/mkdir -p /usr/ports/devel/electron22/work; echo 'yarn-offline-mirror "./yarn-offline-cache"' >> /usr/ports/devel/electron22/work/.yarnrc; cp -f /usr/ports/devel/electron22/files/package.json /usr/ports/devel/electron22/files/yarn.lock /usr/ports/devel/electron22/work; cd /usr/ports/devel/electron22/work && /usr/bin/env HOME=/usr/ports/devel/electron22/work XDG_CACHE_HOME=/usr/ports/devel/electron22/work/.cache yarn --frozen-lockfile --ignore-scripts; /usr/sbin/mtree -cbnSp yarn-offline-cache | /usr/sbin/mtree -C | /usr/bin/sed -e 's:time=[0-9.]*:time=1689319675.000000000:' -e 's:\([gu]id\)=[0-9]*:\1=0:g' -e 's:mode=\([0-9]\)7[0-9][0-9]:mode=\1755:' -e 's:mode=\([0-9]\)6[0-9][0-9]:mode=\1644:' -e 's:flags=.*:flags=none:' -e 's:^\.:./yarn-offline-cache:' > yarn-offline-cache.mtree; /usr/bin/tar cJf /usr/ports/distfiles/electron/electron-yarn-cache-22.3.17.tar.xz @yarn-offline-cache.mtree; /bin/rm -f -r /usr/ports/devel/electron22/work; fi
env: yarn: No such file or directory
*** Error code 127

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/electron22
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/electron22
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/editors/vscode
*** Error code 1

Any idea?

Looks like the devel/electron19 port is broken.

If I'm reading this right, the compilation fails because yarn isn't found. You could attempt troubleshooting yourself or filing a bugreport on bugs.freebsd.org - I just checked, that problem has not been reported yet; generally I'd assume that the maintainer is probably aware of the issue if he received a fallout report of the port build failing, though.

Same here. It is not present for install. Really want to see this back as i had grown very fond of using it, and now im back to old methods.

Is anyone using Lapce instead? It's still in infancy, but maybe the more people start using it, the more chance people contribute and move development along, maybe we could have a solid replacement for the long run.

I use helix as a safe bet, but lapce got more stable these past 3-4 releases (sometimes it crashed losing unsaved work before that on freebsd) and I think they moved to a new UI framework and it shows in performance (floent, from druid unless I'm thinking about something else). There are some cons, but maybe it just needs some love.
It has a plugin system using wasm/wasi, so any language that compiles to wasi can be used to write plugins.
Let us pray.

Back