Is anybody interested in Kingsoft Office?

I'd really like to have more office solutions for FreeBSD available.
However, I am afraid that Kingsoft apparently dropped the idea of porting their office suite to FreeBSD, as this thread seems to be a three-year-old zombie.

Ouch, I didn't notice the necromancer. :)
That's the way how closed source things work. Good, they didn't port it as port and cease support after some time is much, much worse thing.

That's the way how closed source things work. Good, they didn't port it as port and cease support after some time is much, much worse thing.

I am almost tempted to bookmark this thread ready for the next time someone attempts to gauge interest in a closed source FreeBSD port ;)

I attempted the same thing not too long ago with a game that I could not release the source of (not just yet due to Steam license) and almost felt like I was insulting BSD users by withholding the source from them. I decided to wait until I can release the entire source code before I will try that again haha.

The first question was, "Is anybody interested in WPS Office for FreeBSD" and although the YES did win the "election" (15 votes plus mine, now, sixteen) nothing happened.

Since it did not came into ports is there any WPS Office binary for FreeBSD ?

See, I came from Linux and trying GhostBSD right now, I have to study my college disciplines and the content is all microsoft powerpoint (fucking professors) which have a crap compatibility w/ LibreOffice, in Linux I always used WPS (and ONLY Office lately too) to study, will I have to flee from FreeBSD and seek Linux again ?

Believe me my wish is to keep GhostBSD but I need to read those freaking MS power point files.

I understand the value of Kingsoft as an application, but wonder why the developer posted the question here in the first place. Some people are just blind to the concept of open source I guess.

I understand the value of Kingsoft as an application, but wonder why the developer posted the question here in the first place. Some people are just blind to the concept of open source I guess.
Is the matter open-souce thing ? Debian is open-source, I mean, Linuxes are open-source, they have WPS though.

From what I gathered the first asking-guy oferred to keep WPS in FreeBSD ports, now you do have a problem w/ open-source (I guess), keeping proprietary soft in ports, is it possible ?

But at very least we could have a binary to install WPS, anyone disagree ?

Last edited:
The thing is that closed source is guaranteed to cause problems at some point. Somebody is going to be dependent on it to read something for college with a deadline and it's going to be broken because they just did an update. ;) That said, I vote for having it available as a binary anyway.

The thing is that closed source is guaranteed to cause problems at some point. Somebody is going to be dependent on it to read something for college with a deadline and it's going to be broken because they just did an update. ;) That said, I vote for having it available as a binary anyway.
But don't worry about it, in Linux I already underwent a situation like that, ok it's not pleasant but people there still prefer having the option of using the software (even with some drawback once in a while) than not having at all.

All in all I agree w/ you that a binary you already be awesome.

Back