Is anybody interested in Kingsoft Office?

Hello everyone.

I am a developer of Kingsoft Office. And I'm one of the wps-community group members. We are intending to port Kingsoft Office to Unix and Unix-like systems.

Last year we ported Kingsoft Office to Linux. And last week, I ported Kingsoft Office to FreeBSD successfully. But we are limited by our limited develop resources. So I'm curious about this: does anybody need Kingsoft Office for FreeBSD? Is there anybody using FreeBSD as their desktop?

More about Kingsoft Office: http://wps-community.org

Here is a screenshot of Kingsoft Office for FreeBSD.

:)
Jin

Because the software was developed in China, you may want to ask for it to be in /usr/ports/chinese.

sossego said:
Because the software was developed in China, you may want to ask for it to be in /usr/ports/chinese.

Developed in China does not meaning developed for China. /usr/ports/chinese is intended for Chinese users' needs.

Sometimes Libre/OpenOffice can suck, so another option would be appreciated.

However, Kingsoft Office seems to be closed source and is developed in China. No offence, but I wouldn't trust it unless its source is opened. In fact I don't trust any closed source software no matter where it's from: America, China, Russia, India. I don't even trust my blob nVidia driver.

You can call me paranoid.

A question: is it developed with Java?

graudeejs said:
Sometimes Libre/OpenOffice can suck, so another option would be appreciated.

However, Kingsoft Office seems to be closed source and is developed in China. No offence, but I wouldn't trust it unless its source is opened. In fact I don't trust any closed source software no matter where it's from: America, China, Russia, India. I don't even trust my blob nVidia driver.

You can call me paranoid.

A question: is it developed with Java?

No, it's developed with C/C++. Closed source and made in China is the most barrier we met. Thank you for your reply.

pjincz said:
Developed in China does not meaning developed for China. /usr/ports/chinese is intended for Chinese users' needs.
The original WPS was used in China before it became Kingsoft. It would be a product that Chinese users- users in China- would be familiar with based on product history. Unlike Microsoft Office, it does not need an emulation layer. <--- This is a marketing argument and not one about programming or compatibility.

Hi @pjincz

I use FreeBSD as a desktop and as a workstation, so I would love to try Kingsoft Office on FreeBSD, if it's better than LibreOffice I would switch to Kingsoft Office, and thanks for porting it to FreeBSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
graudeejs said:
Using FreeBSD as desktop as well, btw.
Same here. I have to take care of some Linux boxes as well, but personally I use FreeBSD exclusively so that includes desktop usage.

Another vote for porting Kingsoft Office to FreeBSD. I use FreeBSD as desktop and I spend lots of my day in LibreOffice. I am satisfied with it and I have almost no problem with LibreOffice, but I will try Kingsoft Office when you port it and I would switch to it if I found it better than LibreOffice. Thanks for porting it ;)

Thanks for considering porting to FreeBSD.

I too use FreeBSD exclusively as my desktop OS (well I use Windows in VirtualBox on rare occasions). I'm not much of an office suite user, but I use LibreOffice from time to time. If Kingsoft Office were available for FreeBSD I would consider giving it a go, but as closed software it would have to be much better than LibreOffice for me to switch to it permanently.

graudeejs said:
..I don't trust any closed source software no matter where it's from...

I recall you preferring Opera?

Although I don't use FreeBSD as my main desktop nor use any of the freely available office suites I'd still like to vote in favour of adding a new Office suite to the ports collection. Because in the end it's all a matter of choice; and the more, the merrier.

And in my opinion FreeBSD could possibly be an even better suited Unix-like platform for your Office suite because unlike most Linux distributions FreeBSD does not shun closed source or commercial software. If you can come up with something useful then they'd welcome it in the ports collection.

So I definitely vote in favour.

You have my vote, an OpenOffice/LibreOffice alternative would be nice. FreeBSD "workstation" user here too. :)

Hi @pjincz,

You have my vote too. I also would like to try a new office suite for FreeBSD. Thank you for your contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used KingSoft on Linux and it worked really well. Would definitely like to see a port over to FreeBSD. I don't care where the software is written, but I would prefer an open source approach. Wherever possible I use open source applications.

I've been looking around for this, now called WPS Office. It seems like FreeBSD support has stalled. Has anybody here heard anything since this thread?

Hello everyone.

I am a developer of Kingsoft Office. And I'm one of the wps-community group members. We are intending to port Kingsoft Office to Unix and Unix-like systems.

Last year we ported Kingsoft Office to Linux. And last week, I ported Kingsoft Office to FreeBSD successfully. But we are limited by our limited develop resources. So I'm curious about this: does anybody need Kingsoft Office for FreeBSD? Is there anybody using FreeBSD as their desktop?

More about Kingsoft Office: http://wps-community.org

Here is a screenshot of Kingsoft Office for FreeBSD.

:)
Jin
Hi Jin

I am using FreeBSD 10 RELEASE with Xfce desktop - I was using Xubuntu and I would really appreciate Kingsoft on my machine...

Is it just me or would maintaining a large closed-source office suite be very tricky for the developer? I mean, get the LibreOffice binaries for 9.x release and run them on a 10.x system, I doubt they would work.

Yes, the developer could compile it all statically but closed source software simply has a tendancy to stop working one day and die off. Kinda something I dislike and will not personally be using it for that reason.

I see this software as a very short term alternative to LibreOffice and probably isn't worth the effort for the developer to finish the port tbh. You might as well be using i386-wine and Microsoft Office. At least this solution will remain working for the foreseeable future.

Back