IRC

fernandel, that one makes me nostalgic. I think it was my first non gui client, I don't remember if I used it on Windows, or some kind of Linux, or maybe FreeBSD, as it was (for me) wayyy back when I first started getting into computers. I was probably on AOL at the time. I think, at the time, I was probably most on martial arts channels. Wow, that was a long time ago. Before libera, I think the cool one was freenode.
I do not using now but I did start on OS/2 :)

So not in any official FreeBSD place where people who would help are likely to notice.

Imagine … a person linking in official places.

1716833222174.png

you may remember grahamperrin from such links as …​

Imagine … a person having multiple identities in the least expected place.​

Is IRC not obsolete ? As an old way. And nobody uses it anymore ?

It's used by quite a few open source projects (GCC, gdb and musl for instance). Such channels usually have bots like irker that will msg the channel when there are git pushes. Unfortunately llvm doesn't use libera.chat (and also is less reactive). They tend to use discourse more.

… alive & well. Haters gonna hate.

For what it's worth: I don't hate it :)

From the auto-generated transcript of Wednesday's event (minus the name of the chosen alternative to IRC):

「… certainly Core used that as kind of our main internal communications channel rather than IRC this year, which was helpful because then you don't have to deal with everybody losing ops and then having random people spamming things you don't want to see in IRC from random bots, and certainly some other teams … those of us who've been kind of brainstorming and work on that for quite a while that's what we kind of used for our channels to talk with I know the other teams are using channels on … as well …」

I've just installed Doom emacs and enabled irc.

Anyone know what I need to do to be able to use it?

I haven't used irc for many, many years, and never did much with it anyway, but would be nice to see what lurks in the irc world.

I've just installed Doom emacs and enabled irc.

Anyone know what I need to do to be able to use it?

I haven't used irc for many, many years, and never did much with it anyway, but would be nice to see what lurks in the irc world.
M-x irc starts things up but how do I know where to connect?

minus the name of the chosen alternative to IRC
If a chosen alternative to IRC is still around in (half?) a decade, then it might be worth discussing. Until then it is at risk of being just a gimmicky distraction.

Or people could just keep jumping onto the next product (as a serious option. Many people have done with slack, discord), but then you lose access to any kind of history, community, inertia, etc.

I think IRC as a conduit for building up a collection of scripts / libraries for bots, ultimately helps to facilitate the growth of a technical community required to carry more niche operating systems forward.

If you meant which IRC client to use, then the following could be options:

And what server to use for a private Net? There are so many variations, no standards ...

And does any client works with any server?

M-x irc starts things up but how do I know where to connect?

Thanks. Here also starts, in the self compiled minimal emacs, I did not install an extra irc client.

Emacs is not only an Operating System with its user space, it offers a lot of useful applications.

They should first connect to a server. In weechat or irssi, the first command would be /connect libera or whatever name you've given irc.libera.chat.

I'm sure there are FreeBSD channels (#freebsd) on other servers as well, but libera seems to be the main one these days.

There are so many variations, no standards ...
I believe IRC is the *most* standardized chat system. Almost any of the main servers are standardized to early RFC1459 and latest RFC2812.

And what server to use for a private Net?
The most popular daemon is probably unrealircd. For a small internal network you may want something simpler to configure if you are new to it all (i.e miniircd).

There seems to only be two choices for an internal network; XMPP or IRC. The latter is simpler and has more choice of mature servers. For example, we have some pretty useful IRC bots to integrate our build server notifications with our bug reports. The code for this is based on stuff much older than the company itself.

And does any client works with any server?
Yes. For decades. Even Microsoft's Comic Chat IRC client from Windows 95 still works for any server.

But you see in IRCs history the splittings that had a technical background and remain until today:

Do you mean splitting as in a net-split? This is actually a result of a *benefit* of IRC. The equivalent for a more central approach like slack, teams, discord, etc, is that it all goes down for 20 mins and no-one can chat. I prefer IRC's compromise.

For your use-case as a private network, you will never have a net-split anyway. You will use one server.

No. I mean EFNet, Undernet, DALNet, etc. They all have their server-program.
Just like web/httpd servers, many different groups use different ones. Not really an issue. Arguably this multi-vendor approach is a strength in terms of lifespan. Similar with i.e C compilers.

Even better, most IRC daemons are open-source. For example EFNet runs ircd-ratbox, Undernet runs ircu, DALNet runs Bahamut, etc.

Back