Solved Invalid signature using freebsd-update

First of all, I checked this thread. Since the thread was old and it doesn't solve my problem, I decided to make a new thread. (I'm not sure if that is accepted behavior or not, being new to the forum.)

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-update-fetch-gives-error-invalid-signature.52013/

Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD theranch 10.2-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p7 #0: Mon Nov  2 14:19:39 UTC 2015     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Code:
# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update2.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update3.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

The thread indicated that the pub.ssl may be bad, and deleting it would get a new copy. I renamed it (just to be safe) and did get a fresh pub.ssl, but that didn't solve the problem.

This is what I get when I try to check the OpenSSL version:
Code:
openssl version
34379270664:error:0E079065:configuration file routines:DEF_LOAD_BIO:missing equal sign:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/conf/conf_def.c:346:line 1

So apparently my ssl is hosed. I rebuilt it from ports, but that didn't solve the problem. (The TLS works on my email, so I'm baffled how that is if OpenSSL is hosed.)

That is /usr/bin/openssl version above, correct?

That is interesting. Does freebsd-update IDS show files that don't match the expected hashes for 10.2-RELEASE-p7.

Good catch on the openssl since I now recall there is more than one (well after being reminded). Sadly:
Code:
 /usr/bin/openssl version
34379270664:error:0E079065:configuration file routines:DEF_LOAD_BIO:missing equal sign:/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/conf/conf_def.c:346:line 1

Also, just so I know:
Code:
# which openssl
/usr/bin/openssl

On the other hand:
Code:
# pwd
/usr/local/bin
# ./openssl version
34381683208:error:0E079065:configuration file routines:DEF_LOAD_BIO:missing equal sign:conf_def.c:346:line 1
#
I checked that there are no symbolic links to trick me.

I don't undestand the IDS question, but maybe this is useful:
Code:
# freebsd-update IDS
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update2.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update3.freebsd.org... invalid signature.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.
# freebsd-update fetch
No mirrors remaining, giving up

I suppose I should mention I'm on a VPS (digital ocean).

Check if you have a /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf file and what it contains. Move it out of the way in case you have one, openssl(1) should work fine without the configuration file.

And we have a winner. Thank you very much.

I do have a cnf file for a VPN, so I need to investigate this further, but now I know where to look.

Code:
# mv openssl.cnf openssl.cnf.saved
# freebsd-update fetch
Fetching metadata signature for 10.2-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 2 metadata patches.. done.
Applying metadata patches... done.
Fetching 2 metadata files... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 10.2-RELEASE-p7.

I tracked down the problem. When doing the update to 10.2, these lines were inserted at the top of the openssl.cnf file:
Code:
<<<<<<< current version
=======
# $FreeBSD: releng/10.2/crypto/openssl/apps/openssl.cnf 238405 2012-07-12 19:30:53Z jkim $
>>>>>>> 10.2-RELEASE

I made all the lines comments. Stating the obvious (but perhaps useful for search engines):
Code:
#<<<<<<< current version
#=======
# $FreeBSD: releng/10.2/crypto/openssl/apps/openssl.cnf 238405 2012-07-12 19:30:53Z jkim $
#>>>>>>> 10.2-RELEASE

Is there is log of conf files with this merge issue? I'd hate to have potential landmines in the OS.

Back