Solved Intel (igb) Quad-Port (82576) crashing at load

Limit your RAM to one module during tests, it will speed up the checks too.
Under-power could be a problem if the PSU is weak. You could put at least wattmeter in line to see if the power drawn is maybe too much for that PSU.

Some other things I'd do:
Test NIC somewhere else
Test different NIC in that PCIe slot

If you are under warranty you could try to RMA that NIC too.

An obvious question but still - have you checked the /var/log/messages for doublefault messages, etc.? Both on FreeBSD and Linux.
I have only one module. Up to now (still running) no error.

I would assume power is not an issue. I ran the same test with the onBoard NIC (also connected via PCIe lanes) without issues. At least for me it's very difficult to test. I read other have issues with those Intel NICs with the AMD CPUs on embedded systems like this Fujitsu S930. So I assume the Intel card doesnt like the AMD CPU.

I got the Intel card for free now. I wanted to send it back but they just refunded the money. Maybe Im not the first one to send it back ;) I have another system with PCIe X1 slot, but this wont work of course, so I cant really test it somewhere else.

/var/log/messages was not helpful. The only thing I found in dmesg was some error which stated "ignored". Further research pointed to a discussion that somebody should "remove this message" and rewrite the driver.

Yes, I will replace the network card with maybe a Broadcom. This seems to work and is similar priced.

Thanks for your help and suggestions everybody!

Many second hand hardware is sold by disassemblers of systems. They buy up entire (sometimes broken) systems, disassemble them and sell the parts.
They generally don't test them and their policy is simple: if the customer says it's broken, refund the customer. It's cheaper to let the customers do the testing for them.

For later reference: No solution found, assuming a damaged NIC OR an incompatibility between AMD processor and this Intel chipset.
I normally don't revive old threads but I have the Dell model of the 82576 quad port nic with a Fujitsu S920 and have the same issues. Adding to this thread for future reference. No crash data whatsoever. I tried to load it in Windows 10/11 and Ubuntu 22.04 with no issues in my tower so the card isn't damaged. Probably just an incompatibility with the AMD.

Back