• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Intel 8265 / 8275 driver

Sparrowhawk

Hail daemons of the internetz,

I have just gotten a new Lenovo X270 and decided to try out FreeBSD on it; I come from the GNU/Linux world and had installed FreeBSD on my home music server and found it a great experience. Therefore I decided to install on my new laptop as well.

This was successful: # freebsd-release -k
11.1-STABLE

My problem is now that my wifi card, described by pciconf -lv as a "Wireless 8265 / 8275" from "Intel Corporation" is not supported by iwm yet. I found this: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10597#change-zxTHxBhhCpCm, but am not sure of the « correct » way of applying this. Noticeably, this requires another patch to be applied, who also depends on another patch and so on.

Therefore my question is: is my best option finding out whatever patches out there I need to arrive at the state at which I can apply the linked patch, recompile, and have a *-STABLE system, with only that added, or is there another smarter way that I do not know of to do this?

Thank you,

-- Sparrowhawk

Deckard

Sparrowhawk ,

Did you succeed installing this patch ? I'm in the same situation.

My case is however a little bit different, cause my laptop is a Xiaomi Notebook Pro, with absoluetly no RJ-45 port. So... My only network card is a Wi-Fi card. If I patch it, I've got to prepare everything on another PC, and bring the "patch" with a USB Key or something.

PS : Sorry to re-open an ~old topic.

Sparrowhawk

Hi Deckard,

Considering the patch was still open and considered unstable at the time and the fact that I needed my laptop to work ASAP for my studies, I went back to GNU/Linux, at least until this summer when I can survive with an old laptop instead. Hopefully by then the patch will be more stable.

Keep us posted if you manage to use it though, as I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Deckard

Sparrowhawk Sure, I've installed FreeBSD 11.1 CURRENT on my laptop, as I expected the Wi-Fi card is detected, when I do a "pciconf -lv", but the problem is the same as yours. It doesn't work by default. And like you, I don't really know how to patch it. I'll continue my investigations and I'll keep you informed right here.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Best answers: 3

Patches like this are always tested on -CURRENT first. If the patch is good and issues have been ironed out, the patch will be MFC'ed (Merge From Current) to the -STABLE versions. From the -STABLE versions new -RELEASE versions will be made. I'm not sure if this has already been MFC'ed to 11-STABLE yet. If/When it is added to 11-STABLE it will be on time and included in the next 11.2-RELEASE.

Deckard

Okay, so I'll have to reinstall my FreeBSD, cause I can't update it, I've got no network interface now. Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna check if there is a calendar of updates etc.

Thanks buddy.

Deckard

In response to people who could think it works on FreeBSD 12.0, it doesn't really. I tried to install TrueOS, which uses 12.0 kernel, the Wi-Fi driver is built in apparently, but it's clearly unstable. I had to restart so many times the network interfaces to be able to reach a Wi-Fi connection. And it was unstable... So, still a little bit of work on this. I got back to Ubuntu, waiting for a proper driver.