Installing FreeBSD is turning out to be a nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I go to the store today to buy a DVD+R or DVD+RW, and buy a USB stick. Then after writing a FreeBSD iso on both put them on a shelf.

After 3 years I estimate the chances for both to be perfectly readable very high, as in somewhere around 99.5%. Functionally there is no difference. Some people seem to believe there should be a significant difference here.

This belief seems be based on posts like the one linked and zero failure data for USB. Expecting a lifespan of 14 years out of consumer discs isn't realistic.

It's cool some discs last that long, but if you wanted to archive data for such a period the smarter choice would be something like BluRay M-Disc or other medium that was built for the job. Not DVD, not USB sticks either.

Where is the failure data for USB sticks after 14 years? It's just assumed USB sticks don't fail when making the comparison to DVD. It's not very rational to only look at one side of a comparison and never examine the other. I've seen USB sticks fail, if you haven't yet, give it time.

The only sensible strategy dealing with media is to assume all of them can and will fail and plan accordingly so failures are least impactful. There is no shortage of people that only started making backups after losing data, claiming they never had a need to until it happened. But hey, if you want to pray at the church of USB that's your choice.

Just because a technology is older, does not mean it is dysfunctional.

"Floppy disks have been out of production for about a decade, but the Japanese government just started to phase them out, the Nikkei reported over the weekend." from https://www.businessinsider.com/jap...hase-out-2021-10?international=true&r=US&IR=T

Japan wouldn't still use floppy disks in 2021 if it was a problem. Note they cite cost as a reason for migration, not reliability.

Good luck getting anyone to read that wall of text
Says the guy that posted walls of text, well done. Also, you had to had to clarify to two other people that you found out all of this was due to your media and/or drive - you said learn to read, how about you learn to write.

Why SirDice chose to single out and punish the person who was being personally attacked I'm not sure. Looks to me like Insomniac is spamming the thread, I haven't been here so his behaviour has nothing to do with me.

Says the guy that posted walls of text, well done. Also, you had to had to clarify to two other people that you found out all of this was due to your media and/or drive - you said learn to read, how about you learn to write.

Why SirDice chose to single out and punish the person who was being personally attacked I'm not sure. Looks to me like Insomniac is spamming the thread, I haven't been here so his behaviour has nothing to do with me.
I don't have to do anything for you to continue to dig your own grave. You're just here for drama, not anything related to technical details. Do us all a favor and get a TV subscription instead. No shortage of reality TV channels.

Among all this noise, I just want to state I don't think anyone said solid-state memory wouldn't die. And I won't do any comparison to optical media about general durability, I don't have any data on that.

All I said is: in case of failure, with optical media, it's much more likely that wrong data is read instead of just failing to read altogether.

Among all this noise, I just want to state I don't think anyone said solid-state memory wouldn't die. And I won't do any comparison to optical media about general durability, I don't have any data on that.

All I said is: in case of failure, with optical media, it's much more likely that wrong data is read instead of just failing to read altogether.
My entire point is and has been that nobody has presented a single shred of credible evidence why they believe what they do. When challenged on their statements people just go silent. I've seen better discussions in high school. This is amateur hour if generous.

30 minutes and not a single comeback. None of you have fun at your job. Taking multiple hours to decide on anything just shows you're spineless.
Wow, making friends fast.
FYI, this is my spare time. Free of charge. You have no position to demand anything from moderators.
The moderators have shown extraordinary patience?
Thank you for the compliment.

Insomniac Let me see. You seem to be a real professional. Please tell your friends not to come here. Not when they can't engage in polite discussion, that is. Offering advise where to stick things is a sure way to get your posts bined, you know? This is not reddit. And please tell your clients that you base your opinion of FreeBSD on your broken DVD not working. They should be very impressed. I certainly would base some decisions on that. And now I will spend time with my kids. You should do the same. It is very rewardig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back