Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0003f2a0

Device Boot  Start  End  Blocks  Id  System

root@astra5016:~# dd if=/root/mfsbsd-10.3-RELEASE-amd64.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M
52+1 records in
52+1 records out
54558720 bytes (55 MB) copied, 0.338469 s, 161 MB/s
I rebooted the server and it won't boot/come online. Any suggestions please?

Wow, it worked! :) It took so long to boot I thought it won't work this time either.

Thanks everyone for helping. Much appreciated! :)

What's the best way to continue the FreeBSD installation? I tried with bsdinstall, which all went through, installed ZFS as well but after a reboot I was unable to login. Does anyone know why?

Note: I was prompted if I want to change the root password and I did but didn't work after reboot.

Boot in single user mode, remount the root partition read/write (if necessary), then reset the password with passwd(8).
How can I do that without terminal access? I have access to a recovery console through SSH and now I finally managed to boot mfsBSD. bsdinstall worked fine but after changing the root password I can't login (which is normal I guess). :/

(Untested, but...)

Boot from mfsBSD.
Mount the target drive at /mnt.
pw usermod -V /mnt/etc root -h0
Enter the new password.
Unmount the target drive and reboot.

Hi!

It all worked after I installed FreeBSD using bsdinstall. I couldn't login because I was trying to SSH as root (I forgot that PermitRootLogin is set to no by default in FreeBSD). After I added a normal user account, I could log in with that and then I became root with su. So everything works perfectly!

Thank you everyone for your help. You guys are great! :)

Thank you for sticking with it and finding a solution. And also for posting it, which will help others in the future. :beer:

Back