Installing FreeBSD 9 source

Just a note that before today's posts, the last one in the thread is from 2015.
Alas, I did not notice that; the dates are rather pale; I ended up here via duck search from this new iMac. That does bring up a question; why are not some of these conversations archived after a fixed period of time, or even as the Apple communities does, provide a warning that a particular discussion is old, and that one should start a new topic?

Yeah, the dates are hard to read. I miss them unless I'm really looking for them. I just wondered because wblock hasn't posted here in a long time (to our loss) and FreeBSD-9x is pretty old by now.

svnlite checkout et al will pull the source code and put it on your machine in /usr/src. It is sometimes necessary to build various ports, and apparently, even to install some packages.

svnlite is the program, checkout is what the command will do--there are various things svnlite does, checking out, in this case, means pulling the latest source code.

svn.freebsd.org will go to one of the FreeBSD.org's main svn servers (that have this source code) the base/releng/12.0
is, if you're running 12.0, the version of the source code you want--the base, meaning the main system, releng, meaning a release, and 12.0, which release you want. (It might also be 11.2 if that's what you're running). /usr/src is where you're going to put this checked out source code.

why are not some of these conversations archived
I'm not aware of any forum that does that and that would also mean tucking away information that may be useful just because it's an older post but that reitereates what I said earlier. This forum is not documentation.

I just wondered because wblock hasn't posted here in a long time
Somewhere on here he posted that it's cause he became too busy with the documentation project.

Yeah, the dates are hard to read. I miss them unless I'm really looking for them. I just wondered because wblock hasn't posted here in a long time (to our loss) and FreeBSD-9x is pretty old by now.

svnlite checkout et al will pull the source code and put it on your machine in /usr/src. It is sometimes necessary to build various ports, and apparently, even to install some packages.

svnlite is the program, checkout is what the command will do--there are various things svnlite does, checking out, in this case, means pulling the latest source code.

svn.freebsd.org will go to one of the FreeBSD.org's main svn servers (that have this source code) the base/releng/12.0
is, if you're running 12.0, the version of the source code you want--the base, meaning the main system, releng, meaning a release, and 12.0, which release you want. (It might also be 11.2 if that's what you're running). /usr/src is where you're going to put this checked out source code.

Howdy
I searched into this area, because an Nvidia doc said that I needed /src/sys installed, and I was looking for a way to do that; I believe that the old way was to use sysinstall. I got fed-up with trying to go that route, and reinstalled freeBSD on the other iMac using the sys installation option. Yesterday after reading all ya'lls recommendations, I went back to that machine, and I discovered that svnlite had been installed. However, and holy smokes, that thing is a little "beastie". Except for the initial man page, anything else, svnlite help, for example returns screen loads of information. Perhaps I should go to that apache website and see if there are some super relevant pages that I could print out.

Also, I wonder who one could contact to ask about redesigning or editing the html so the forum posting dates are more evident?

The svnlite(1) tool is included in the base OS, so you should always have it. It's basically a limited version of devel/subversion. The base tool is somewhat limited in the features it supports but should have everything you need to do some basic version management. It has more than enough functionality to fetch the FreeBSD sources or ports trees.

Also, I wonder who one could contact to ask about redesigning or editing the html so the forum posting dates are more evident?
You can use the "Feedback" section for this. The forum software we use is a commercial product (XenForo) and while it is quite customizable I'm not sure if this could be changed. We obviously don't want to customize the code too much as it will make forum updates/upgrades more difficult, and in some cases even impossible.

I'm not aware of any forum that does that and that would also mean tucking away information that may be useful just because it's an older post but that reitereates what I said earlier. This forum is not documentation.

Somewhere on here he posted that it's cause he became too busy with the documentation project.

I hope that someone is working on getting the handbook up to date

The svnlite(1) tool is included in the base OS, so you should always have it. It's basically a limited version of devel/subversion. The base tool is somewhat limited in the features it supports but should have everything you need to do some basic version management. It has more than enough functionality to fetch the FreeBSD sources or ports trees.

You can use the "Feedback" section for this. The forum software we use is a commercial product (XenForo) and while it is quite customizable I'm not sure if this could be changed. We obviously don't want to customize the code too much as it will make forum updates/upgrades more difficult, and in some cases even impossible.
Ah, thank you, very interesting.
Evidently that is why I saw a .subverson directory in my home directory that I was wondering about, but did not look into it. I had been locked into trying to get that Xorg stuff to work.

I guess that I should go ahead and try using the feedback (when I find it) just to see what ya'll can do perhaps?

You're more than welcome to help out: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/

Keep in mind that most things on FreeBSD depend on kind users submitting updates, a lot of things are community driven. There is some oversight of course but almost everyone does this for free, in their spare time.

I would be glad to, when I actually know enough to do that. I have been an Apple kinda guy since the Apple II days, so I have much to learn.

Back