Install Microsoft SQL server into FreeBSD

Hello, am migrating to freebsd, am tring to achieve install mssql server into freebsd, in debian there's a release to install it, but in bsd there'snt, even in the oficial documentation there isnt releases for BSD, investigating i found linuxulator, idk if this is posible, thanks in advance

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 549
There is a way to install Debian in a FreeBSD jail: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/setting-up-a-debian-linux-jail-on-freebsd.68434/
They have Ubuntu as a supported platform and it's based on Debian.

Try it out, maybe it works for you. I tried this with another software (BigBlueButton) but it did not work for me because they did not recognize the platform string. It contained "freebsd-amd64" instead of "gnu-...-x86_64" or something of the sort.
Theoretically, if it is a binary for the same platform and if you have all necessary shared libraries it should work.

This thread really makes me wonder why. It reminds me of the saying "if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Don't try to solve all your IT problems by installing FreeBSD. Use the right tool for the job. If you decided you need MS SQL server instead of PostgreSQL or MariaDB/MySQL, then install the software on the best available operating system for the best results ... and to keep everything in support. Otherwise once you create a TAC case with Microsoft for assistance on issues with your MS SQL server, you've given them the easy answer "install it first on a supported OS".

and to keep everything in support. Otherwise once you create a TAC case with Microsoft for assistance on issues with your MS SQL server, you've given them the easy answer "install it first on a supported OS".
This. This is exactly why I said to install it on a supported platform.

I find, elsewhere, Linux users seem enamored with installing Microsoft software of all kinds as well as being enamored by anything Microsoft does. Microsoft is integrating so much Linux stuff, and users want to do so much with Microsoft products, that it seems it may get to the point where they won't need Linux at all.

Which I think is Microsoft's goal in the first place. SQL Server is tremendously expensive, although probably not as expensive as Oracle's DB, and there are certainly other DBs out there that run just fine on FreeBSD and are open source.

Which I think is Microsoft's goal in the first place. SQL Server is tremendously expensive, although probably not as expensive as Oracle's DB, and there are certainly other DBs out there that run just fine on FreeBSD and are open source.
When you have to support legacy systems things are not as easy as when designing a new project. Sometimes you just need to take whatever your predecessors chose.

This thread really makes me wonder why. It reminds me of the saying "if you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Don't try to solve all your IT problems by installing FreeBSD. Use the right tool for the job. If you decided you need MS SQL server instead of PostgreSQL or MariaDB/MySQL, then install the software on the best available operating system for the best results ... and to keep everything in support. Otherwise once you create a TAC case with Microsoft for assistance on issues with your MS SQL server, you've given them the easy answer "install it first on a supported OS".
thansk in advance, ill keep my windows server.

I read about bhyve VM. Don't know more about bhyve but if it is full VM like VirtualBox/VMware, you can run Ubuntu with MS SQL. The other questions are whether Microsoft are still developing Linux version of MS SQL or it is old project and is there SQL Express (the free version)?

Definitely try bhyve, it is FAR easier than the linux compatibility layer. There is an introduction to bhyve in a chapter of the FreeBSD Handbook.

actually am rinnung mssql into debian server, ill try with bhyve, thanks
bhyve have to greater IO overhead than native Linux or Devuan in FreeBSD jail and it good choice for office application and relays.
For example GPU Passthrough Bhyve overhead - 33%
More detailed infomation about containers vs hypervisors Type 2 see here (Russian)
If performance is critical -install MSSQL to native Debian or try install to Devuan Jail in FreeBSD (is MSSQL doesn't have systemd dependences)

Be very careful with names of hero form "Dog's Heart" :)
I had mail login on google contains the sequence symbols "**abyr**"
I the one nice day my account was unaccessible for me. I was surprised.
Later I thought what happened after reading this documents, the second person in this list.
Google executed order of government structures fired for all area :)

Be very careful with names of hero form "Dog's Heart" :)
I had mail login on google contains the sequence symbols "**abyr**"
I the one nice day my account was unaccessible for me. I was surprised.
Later I thought what happened after reading this documents, the second person in this list.
Google executed order of government structures fired for all area :)
I laughed heartily. thanks

This. This is exactly why I said to install it on a supported platform.

Whilst it might be fun to play around with, it would be a very hard justification if something went wrong in production XD

Presumably this is also why running the Oracle Database via Linux Emu was also removed from the FreeBSD handbook.

Back