iMac with NVidia GeForce GTX 775M

Hello world! I have a late-2013 iMac with an NVidia GeForce GTX 775M graphics card which I've been struggling to get working with Xorg on 11.0-RELEASE-p1.

Following the handbook when I enter startx I see a generic "no screens found" error. Looking in the log I see "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices."

I tried using "sudo Xorg -configure" but I see "(EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file." at the end. It did spit out a config file at /root/xorg.conf.new so I also tried "sudo X -config /root/xorg.conf.new" and it shows a black screen with a band of color near the top, the cursor stops moving around. Have to ssh in and kill the process at that point.

Any ideas?

Did you installed / configured nvidia-driver package ? Apparently not.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/52311/ seems pretty useful for NVidia. There is a handbook section somewhere on it too, but lately, all I've had to do is install the NVidia driver and create the /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf mentioned in the post I linked.
If you're using packages, then you need to have the Linux compat module loaded--you can do it on the fly with sudo kldload linux and to have it happen upon reboot add
Code:
linux_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf. (If installing it from ports you can choose to use it without the Linux module).

Did you installed / configured nvidia-driver package ? Apparently not.
It's installed- not sure if I've configured it correctly though...

pkg info | grep nvidia

nvidia-driver-367.44 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/52311/ seems pretty useful for NVidia. There is a handbook section somewhere on it too, but lately, all I've had to do is install the NVidia driver and create the /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf mentioned in the post I linked.
If you're using packages, then you need to have the Linux compat module loaded--you can do it on the fly with sudo kldload linux and to have it happen upon reboot add
Code:
linux_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf. (If installing it from ports you can choose to use it without the Linux module).

I've tried using 'sudo kldload linux' and have already edited /etc/rc.conf:

cat /etc/rc.conf | grep linux

linux_enable="YES"

Woohoo!! All good now... After I stopped digging around for the driver info and followed the rest of that post it started working. Specifically:

sysrc kld_list+="nvidia-modeset"

And then created /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf with the following contents:

Code:
Section "Device"
       Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
        VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Thanks everyone!!

Back