I'm looking for a secure ext driver for linux which works great on Freebsd

I use ext2fs. It's part of the base system. Look up man ext2fs.

https://github.com/alperakcan/fuse-ext2 was already referring to sysutils/fusefs-ext2.

The last I remember, ext2fs(5) is for read-only access. Has that changed?

It gives me read/write access. chown, chmod, everything I've tried. I don't know its history and have only been using it since FreeBSD-13.0. I don't use it for anything critical, just for scratch partitions and file transfers, because it doesn't keep a journal.

Write access on ext3 and ext4 too?

If ziomario had only read this very thread, that he himself started, he would already know these answers, and wouldn't have to ask repeatedly. I'm pretty well convinced he's just trolling us for his own amusement.

your belief is wrong. I'm on the freebsd forum from some time and I haven't any interest to troll. If I were an occasional user,maybe. Is it allowed to don't remember and to ask the same things because maybe I miss something or someone could have different informations from what I read even only a little of time ago ? Things change fast. I learned that crossing informations can be useful.

I have never used physical disks with bhyve. Did you try other block device types such as ahci-hd? Also, nocache and direct block-device-options may help.

thanks. your advice would have been useful before. Now, after the disk showed some serious problems I don't think I will risk again attaching a physical disk in bhyve anymore. But I take your advice into account.

Is bhyve enough secure when we give to it a physical disk instead of a virtual disk ?

ziomario this made me curious (Actually im pretty sure i can install linux guest on ada1 if i start from scratch)
Regardless real question is can i boot already installed linux so I have wifes' old disk on ada1 with ubuntu 20.04 installed.

First i tried to boot it with:
Code:
bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 0,hostbridge -s 4,virtio-blk,/dev/ada1 -s 5,virtio-net,tap6 -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1280,h=1024,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc -l com1,stdio -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd ubuntuvm

Didnt boot fall back to uefi boot menu. Little bit tinkering found out it was installed in legacy mode

so i tried grub-bhyve:

Code:
root@m:~ # cat device.map
(hd0) /dev/ada1
root@m:~ # grub-bhyve -m device.map -r hd0,msdos1 -M 4G ubuntuvm

grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos1) (host)
grub> ls (hd0,msdos1)
        Partition hd0,msdos1: Filesystem type fat, UUID 522B-073D - Partition start at 2048 - Total size 1048576 sectors
grub> ls (hd0,msdos1)/

grub> ls (hd0,msdos5)/
lost+found/ boot/ swapfile etc/ media/ var/ bin dev/ home/ lib lib32 lib64 libx32 mnt/ opt/ proc/ root/ run/ sbin snap/ srv/ sys/ tmp/ usr/ cdrom/ core
grub> ls (hd0,msdos5)/dev/mapper/
error: file `/dev/mapper/' not found.
grub> ls (hd0,msdos5)/dev/      
fd pts/ shm/ console full null ptmx random stderr stdin stdout tty urandom zero

According to this document:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/virtualization/#virtualization-host-bhyve

Creating a Linux® Guest section: there should be /dev/mapper/ in ubuntu installation but as you see above there isnt in this case.

I dont know enough ubuntu to move forward. If you have any suggestions i can try.

ext2fs have write support, and actually the performance is really good to both read and write
I once tried to write something like 25GB of data (movies) to an ext4-formatted USB stick, and found it painfully slow. I ended up reformatting the stick as UFS so the process wouldn't need hours to complete. Maybe it's better depending on the disk, but at least in my case I wouldn't call that good performance.

I once tried to write something like 25GB of data (movies) to an ext4-formatted USB stick, and found it painfully slow. I ended up reformatting the stick as UFS so the process wouldn't need hours to complete. Maybe it's better depending on the disk, but at least in my case I wouldn't call that good performance.
An hour ago I've copied files to an USB2 drive ext4 formated by 25~30Mb/s.

I dont know enough ubuntu to move forward. If you have any suggestions i can try.
I used a normal file as a "disk" and installed from ubuntu-20.10-live-server-amd64.iso. Nothing magic. If you have enough space and are running zfs on the host, may be you can create a working disk image, copy all the useful bits from your wife's disk and then copy this working image onto a physical disk?

ziomario this made me curious (Actually im pretty sure i can install linux guest on ada1 if i start from scratch)
Regardless real question is can i boot already installed linux so I have wifes' old disk on ada1 with ubuntu 20.04 installed.

First i tried to boot it with:
Code:
bhyve -c 2 -m 4G -w -H -s 0,hostbridge -s 4,virtio-blk,/dev/ada1 -s 5,virtio-net,tap6 -s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1280,h=1024,wait -s 30,xhci,tablet -s 31,lpc -l com1,stdio -l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd ubuntuvm

Didnt boot fall back to uefi boot menu. Little bit tinkering found out it was installed in legacy mode

so i tried grub-bhyve:

Code:
root@m:~ # cat device.map
(hd0) /dev/ada1
root@m:~ # grub-bhyve -m device.map -r hd0,msdos1 -M 4G ubuntuvm

grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos1) (host)
grub> ls (hd0,msdos1)
        Partition hd0,msdos1: Filesystem type fat, UUID 522B-073D - Partition start at 2048 - Total size 1048576 sectors
grub> ls (hd0,msdos1)/

grub> ls (hd0,msdos5)/
lost+found/ boot/ swapfile etc/ media/ var/ bin dev/ home/ lib lib32 lib64 libx32 mnt/ opt/ proc/ root/ run/ sbin snap/ srv/ sys/ tmp/ usr/ cdrom/ core
grub> ls (hd0,msdos5)/dev/mapper/
error: file `/dev/mapper/' not found.
grub> ls (hd0,msdos5)/dev/     
fd pts/ shm/ console full null ptmx random stderr stdin stdout tty urandom zero

According to this document:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/virtualization/#virtualization-host-bhyve

Creating a Linux® Guest section: there should be /dev/mapper/ in ubuntu installation but as you see above there isnt in this case.

what problem do u have ? U can try :

1) to install ubuntu on the disk /dev/ada1

Code:
bhyve -S -c 4 -m 8G -w -H \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 1,ahci-cd,/mnt/da1p1/vms/os/.iso/ubuntu-21.04-desktop-amd64.iso \
-s 2,virtio-blk,/dev/ada1 \
-s 3,virtio-net,tap0 \
-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1440,h=900,wait \
-s 30,xhci,tablet \
-s 31,lpc \

2) to boot ubuntu :

Code:
bhyve -S -c 4 -m 8G -w -H \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 1,virtio-blk,/dev/ada1 \
-s 2,virtio-net,tap0 \
-s 29,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5900,w=1440,h=900,wait \
-s 30,xhci,tablet \
-s 31,lpc \
-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd \
vm0

what problem do u have ? U can try :

I guess you got it wrong. I don't have any problem with bhyve installations, i already have my instances running.

I was just curios to test your question; if i can boot "linux distro which was installed on physical drive out side Bhyve" from Bhyve.

And i had to stop because of ubuntu/legacy obstacle thats it. It was more of a information than question.

I've understood that. For this reason I've suggested to try to install and boot linux on the physical disk ada1 using UEFI bootloader. The parameters that I have shown do exactly that.

I've understood that. For this reason I've suggested to try to install and boot linux on the physical disk ada1 using UEFI bootloader. The parameters that I have shown do exactly that.

Never mind, you can just dismiss my msg(s) for this post. Seems like we are not on the same page.

Back