If you have a FreeBSD job, how did you get started?

I've worked in Linux for about 12 years. I did work at one company with a handful of FreeBSD servers, but it was really rare I ever got to touch one. I'd like to be working on FreeBSD full time, but it seems those jobs are a lot harder to find. I'm waiting to see if this port I converted from Linux is approved for the ports collection. I imagine when I link that on my resume that will help. Just wondering if there's any other advice from those who have jobs in FreeBSD. Maybe how you started, or what you would do different today. Anything is appreciated.

I just got lucky. I was job hunting, and there was an ad for FreeBSD experience, I interviewed, and the guy (tech, not HR), had read some of my articles and liked me. Since then, however, almost all the jobs I see (US Northeast, many at least partially remote) are Linux ones.

I haven't ever worked on a FreeBSD-based product, yet I've quietly used FreeBSD--every single day--at all of my jobs.

For example:
  • My main workstation uses FreeBSD. It has a VNET Jail within which I attach to my employer's VPN, run a browser and tmux session.
  • My main server uses FreeBSD. It's my router and my LAN's DNS and DHCP service.
  • My FC storage array uses FreeBSD. It contains zvols on an NVMe shared with an ESXi host. They're shared over FC using QLE2564 HBAs with isp(4)'s target mode.
  • My laptop runs FreeBSD.
  • At a prior job I ran the department's DNS on FreeBSD.
  • At a prior job I ran two file servers on FreeBSD. They were an active/standby pair which accessed their storage over an FC SAN with MPIO (gmultipath). Should the active host fail, the ZFS pool could be imported on the standby host, and services restored.
  • At a prior job I used FreeBSD as a reference platform. I was testing a commercial Unix, and always kept an eye on how it compared to FreeBSD.
  • And many more...

Wow, a lot of good responses here. I don't have the money to start a company, but I'm going to follow the rest of these up. Much appreciated!

I don't claim to have a FreeBSD job, but am in a similar position to robroy.

I had a hunch that FreeBSD would simplify our deployment process, and talked with my boss about it. After investigating it for a few months, developing a proof-of-concept and some necessary tooling, we decided to go for it. We have since deployed multiple production applications on FreeBSD. Also because I use FreeBSD as my dev workstation, I'm on it all day long, and have ported several apps and libs so I can do so.

My main workstation uses FreeBSD. It has a VNET Jail within which I attach to my employer's VPN, run a browser and tmux session.

This, btw, is awesome, and I'm not aware of other mechanisms for accomplishing this as smoothly as you can with jails. I have this exact setup, and I can run X applications from within the jail to access stuff from the VPN. And because files in a jail are simply files on a filesystem, I can chown data files on the jail to the uid of my user on the host, so I can edit those files from Emacs on my host and run commands on them from the jail. It's really slick.

Hi Azrael ,

I have selected FreeBSD for all my job for my own startup and am using FreeBSD for all my clients server.
I will post requirments at growth stage.

For now, you can try to find your FreeBSD jobs from following list of companies careers page.

Also sometime you can find from UpWork Jobs : https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~012aade5633be4684d
Job search engines also useful like Indeed or LinkedIn

All the very best for your future endeavors😊👍🏻

Back