DWM I would like to give me some help about how to configure themes on dwm i have seen some themes and need some help

Which is your favorite tiling/rice window manager

• Total voters
I would like to give me some help about how to configure themes on dwm i have seen some themes and need some help
and also if there is a complete guide to dwm (or i3) themes and patches that would be nice.
Also my last testing with freebsd was with freebsd 13 and kde plasma i installed every single thing from codecs,drivers,programs complete suite and what i got
was a broken system i don't know if webcamd was having problems or something but many things were not fuctioning correctly like playing a video on youtube to listening some music (maybe installing sound servers was a bad idea) , but the fact is i don't trust anymore kde plasma because of that. Also i find rice/tiling window managers the most ergonomic and i want to give them a try i like simplicity.
-Also I'm considering moving to FreeBSD cause I hate Linux kernel 5 I got several problems I don't like it anymore they only thing I would miss is the video editors, I need them casually and unfortunately.
shotcut and kdenlive works but with gpu acceleration disabled because they don't mix well with nvidia graphics cards, I'm considering moving to my amd vega intergrated graphics card but I should add some more ram to my system another 8gb ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, by "themes", do you mean colors because that's about all your are going to get. You can run scripts or binaries in the area that shows the x11-wm/dwm version to show various system attributes or the time, but other than that, you can only change colors. All changes are done in the x11-wm/dwm source code, then the app is compiled and the executable binary moved into /usr/local/bin

Not much else you can do. You can set wallpaper, but once you open 1 window, even that becomes moot.

Keep in mind FreeBSD 13 is not a release and as such is going to have issues. If you are looking for a stable experience, suggest you use 12-RELEASE.

Yes i don't mean themes like in kde but it has some patches to customise it and look better with borders & shadows, transparencies maybe, and a nice 3d look on the bar simple things

my last testing with freebsd was with freebsd 13 and kde plasma i installed every single thing from codecs,drivers,programs complete suite and what i got was a broken system i don't know if webcamd was having problems...
As far as I can tell, webcamd requires hald_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf for KDE. I don't use webcamd and don't enable HAL, but the lack of HAL entails other a few other device-oriented problems. Some of these problems, like automounting USB drives, have workarounds which I use. KDE is a big system and their programmers are still working to remove HAL dependencies, but that job hasn't been completed yet. HAL has been deprecated for several years, but it's a huge system which provides a lot of functionality, and many software systems still depend on it.

Hrr, you could probably choose a terminal aside from the default st, that has transparency. I know that rxvt-unicode (urxvt) has pseudo transparency that looks real. Other terminals also have transparency, and it might even be real, rather than pseudo. Not sure about the other things you're asking about, they'd take more work. I think most people using tiling window managers pride themselves as being hard core and not worryin' about them tha frills. :) If they want it, they're too ashamed to admit it. Just (sort of) kidding. I think the archlinux forums have a REALLY long dwm thread, where you might get some ideas though.

As was said FreeBSD-13 would be CURRENT and can easily break, so you would always be better off trying with FreeBSD-12.

I'm using both of them and I find x11-wm/i3 to be easy to configure while x11-wm/dwm breaks after appling to much patches. On current x11-wm/dwm only a few patches are applied: alpha, attachbottom, autostart and systray. The terminal emulator on dwm it's x11/xterm while on i3 it's x11/rxvt-unicode.
dwm00.png i3wm00.png i3wm01.png

x11-wm/dwm doesn't have themes and those screenshots aren't x11-wm/dwm. No clue what they are. x11-wm/dwm is meant to be minimalist and even wallpaper is moot because once you launch a terminal, it is inconsequential. To me, those screenshots look like x11-wm/cwm with some sort of bar running at the top. Maybe someone else can chime in with an idea.

What you are failing to understand is there is nothing to theme in x11-wm/dwm because x11-wm/dwm is simply a bar and a framework to arrange windows. You can go into the source code and change colors but that is about it. You can run apps in the bar to show system stats but these are not part of x11-wm/dwm and are called separately, like from .xinitrc.

I have never seen x11-wm/dwm with icons in a bar although with enough C coding it may be possible I suppose. You can theme the GTK or QT apps but there just isn't much to x11-wm/dwm: it's ~2k lines of code.

Obviously you can theme it with colors, transparency background, and customized bar.
This youtuber who did it (along with another one that made almost the same thing) says that he uses dwm-suckless with some patches

What you are failing to understand is there is nothing to theme in x11-wm/dwm because x11-wm/dwm is simply a bar and a framework to arrange windows. You can go into the source code and change colors but that is about it. You can run apps in the bar to show system stats but these are not part of x11-wm/dwm and are called separately, like from .xinitrc.

I have never seen x11-wm/dwm with icons in a bar although with enough C coding it may be possible I suppose. You can theme the GTK or QT apps but there just isn't much to x11-wm/dwm: it's ~2k lines of code.

You can easily achieve this without C coding. I use x11-fonts/nerd-fonts. You can see the result here. The icons for the tags are obtained with the following line :
C:
/* tagging */
static const char *tags[] = { "\uf108", "\uf489", "\uf268", "\uf6f0", "\uf947"};

Back