I like NomadBSD but no its desktop system

Hi all,

First of all, I recommend you to try NomadBSD if you still don't know it. NomadBSD is awesome for testing hardware, for first steps on FreeBSD or for use FreeBSD on a USB pendrive and you won't touch your hard disk. Super.

I would like to know if somebody has install NomadBSD with a different desktop. Actually, NomadBSD is using openbox and a bottom bar like the MacOS X's dock. I would love to have NomadBSD with xfce4 or another Desktop, but when I install it, it does not work propperly as when I install it on a clean FreeBSD installation.

Ok, I didn't know, I thought every FreeBSD is perfectly welcome to be in discussions and support. Thanks for the information SirDice 👍:beer:

Around the time of FreeBSD-4 through 6 I guess, there was something similar, a live CD running fluxbox, that made it easy to do quick hardware tests. I'm not familiar with Nomad, though such a thing does sound handy.

I don't see a forum, but there seems to be a mailing list that might be helpful, and a twitter account.

First of all, I recommend you to try NomadBSD if you still don't know it. NomadBSD is awesome for testing hardware, for first steps on FreeBSD or for use FreeBSD on a USB pendrive and you won't touch your hard disk. Super.
Oh, I use FreeBSD (the install usb stick) for that purpose. The Live ... option works nicely for that.

It seems like Nomad offers a working X, however, which depending upon your needs (for testing and use) can be handy.

It seems FreeSBIE is dead. Last messages from the official mailing list is from 2011 (http://mailman.gufi.org/pipermail/freesbie/).

However NomadBSD is alive, modern, minimalistic, easy to use and it is perfect for a daily Desktop system because is FreeBSD and it detects a lot of hardware (for example my laptop's webcam) that FreeBSD from the scratch it doesn't unless you start to configure several files, and you can easily install it by using the installer.

I'm sure there are ways to donate. I haven't done a hard look at their site, but there is probably a contact link where you can ask. It's a nice thought, to support projects that you like.

I would love to have NomadBSD with xfce4 or another Desktop, but when I install it, it does not work propperly as when I install it on a clean FreeBSD installation.

Please send a mail to our mailing list.

The person behind NomadBSD is mrclksr.

I'm just ONE of persons behind the NomadBSD Project.

He has other nice projects here : https://freeshell.de/~mk/projects.html. Without his work, I wouldn't have been able to switch my partner's laptop to FreeBSD.
Thank you for the nice feedback :)

Back