I don't know what's going on

I've always had a sympathy for tramps, and that's where this term roots off IIRC - I hereby declare (please add to public wisdom): subcommandante Mjölnir is neither a wizzard and far from becoming a guru (Walter von Enferndt).

That's something I use as a passive test of character to see if a person treats you kindly and with respect no matter how you look, or sees you as someone who they could possible take advantage of because you might look like a tramp.

God Bless those who treat me in a polite and manner appropriate to the situation, and don't think it isn't appreciated or returned in kind.

God will have nothing to do with what lesson plan I think most appropriate in teaching those who underestimate me to a fault the error of their ways. Not everything rises to the level as lesson worthy and I'm the one learning a lesson about them, and all that's needed. The possible negative consequences of just the truth becoming known could far outweigh anything I was subjected to in comparison and taken into account to their benefit.

But that's up to me to decide and that moral compass of mine is spinning like a Quasar. Just a few hours ago the only real friend I have, after I brought up the subject of good and bad decisions, told me with brutal honesty if I "made a good decision it would be a bad one". :)

Zirias said:
To jump on THAT wagon, I'm probably a HUGE moron for just valuing accurate information much more than feelings of a person ... hehe

That's why he's my only real friend, We both value it, expect it from each other and are as brutally honest with each other as we are with everyone else. Not everyone is appreciative of it as we are but hear it anyway.

… questions being asked on Stack Overflow …
Questions specifically about FreeBSD?

… a good integrated way to handle user mounts for removable media. But, coincidentally, I never got that to work properly with KDE either, although it should be possible …
It seems to just work nowadays, for most things, in/with KDE. If it seems to – without requiring me to think about it or RTFM – then it probably does work 🎉

I should add that I use FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT. YMMV, your mileage may vary.

… dung heap of reddit (a place I NEVER go to) …
I post much more often to Reddit than here because there's no place for -CURRENT here. Nowhere around here.

I should retract my mention of using FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT. My mileage varies, pleasantly so, and readers here might never know of such pleasures.

"Being nice" ruins orderliness. …
Nice and orderly (the combination) was a reason for me to love Stack Exchange (not Stack Overflow in particular) for a very long time.

A jaw-dropping lack of niceties drove me away – and quickly. I was away in an instant. Hypocrisy; someone who thought himself above the rules.

It tickles me that years after almost completely abandoning Stack Exchange, I'm still amongst the top two percent (whatever that means) at https://apple.stackexchange.com/users/8546/graham-perrin

For clarity: the lack of niceties was nowhere near Ask Different.

if one gets aggravated by newcomer questions, one can just ignore them. (I'm talking about this forum), …
Whilst I'm not here often enough to be aware of newcomer questions … generally:

+1

As an aside, I think how the OpenBSD reddit community deals with these ideas of "improving user-friendlyness" is quite effective: Reddit: r/openbsd/comments/lq4dd7/cinnamon_on_openbsd/
It does encourage users to get involved rather than "leave it to the developers". I actually find this to be more productive than directly saying no, or having some quiet porting hidden behind the scenes.
+1 to encouragement, however the first (and highest-voted) answer there was, essentially, "Go ahead: port it" with no consideration of skill levels. A popular answer, but it was quite thoughtless, and honestly (not mean-mindedly) the up-voters were similarly thoughtless.

From a glance at https://old.reddit.com/user/shawn_blackk it should have been obvious that the person is not a porter of desktop environments.

To also jump on that train - I've always had a sympathy for tramps, and that's where this term roots off IIRC - I hereby declare (please add to public wisdom): subcommandante Mjölnir is neither a wizzard and far from becoming a guru (Walter von Enferndt).

I'd also welcome if all other Shmocks know what they don't know and don't play the wise guy.
EDIT tramp does not root off "to jump on a train" (that's literally what they did in the US @early 19xy), but from the old-german "trampen". Wieder was gelerndt.
Can you help me with the etymology? I'd like to learn, but Google Translate is not helping in this case (of course it's not, Graham).

helloSystem definitely had something to do with all the "Year of the FreeBSD Desktop" mantra on the interwebz lately. The developer having some status in the Linux Crowd; it's an interesting addition to the FreeBSD community. But if this project ends up bringing in more OE driver and third party developer support, hallelujah.
+1 to bringing more goodness to FreeBSD.

On the downside, my recent concerns include the removal of support for pkg update and pkg upgrade when it would have been more user-friendly to simply lock just one package.

Incidentally: if pkg-installed software is limited to a jail, does jailing not limit that software's ability to achieve some things?

… Another example: FuryBSD claimed to be native FreeBSD under the hood. IIUC there was an issue that it's forum was attacked, …
Att… what?

Clearly, I'm out of the loop. I knew that FuryBSD came then went, I know not much more than that.

In a different life, I might have involved myself in the project … in real life (with COVID-19 and other issues), my mind was elsewhere for a few months.

+1 to bringing more goodness to FreeBSD.

On the downside, my recent concerns include the removal of support for pkg update and pkg upgrade when it would have been more user-friendly to simply lock just one package.

Incidentally: if pkg-installed software is limited to a jail, does jailing not limit that software's ability to achieve some things?

my goodness... just, why? This is why a desktop needs to birthed from the committers who understand the system (and the desktop) well. Nonetheless, this is disappointing to see although I'm not exactly surprised. Almost every other desktop "spork" has started straying away from how base works. If AppImage somehow displaces pkg that's gonna be a huge nope from me. Splitting the community like that is no bueno.

As for jails, I think that it would impose limits (for GUI apps) due to jails not having separate namespace segregation for X11 bitmaps. Not sure though. My knowledge of X-Fu is limited.

I should retract my mention of using FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT. My mileage varies, pleasantly so, and readers here might never know of such pleasures.
You're helping the devs to detect bugs early - if you subscribed to the mailing list & report issues, I'm sure you did - thus you're helping us all eventually. That's good, thx a lot. Now we're going slightly OT, but since you asked:
[on "tramp"] Can you help me with the etymology?
I had the wrong association (memory anchor) that the term tramp (aka vagrant) is a fairly modern creation & roots off the swaggies hitch-hiking (i.e. literally jumping) on cargo trains at the early last century in the US (maybe Australia, too?). AFAIK it's still done by some adventurous adolescents & young tourists; I know two guys who did it. But that's not the etymology, instead it roots off the old-german "trampen". The english Wikipedia article is not accurate on this. I'm sure you can find a more accurate english etymologic description elsewhere.
Clearly, I'm out of the loop. I knew that FuryBSD came then went, I know not much more than that.
When I had installed FuryBSD, naturally I tried to visit the forum, but it was heavily spammed with junk posts, and I had the impression it might be under a DoS attack: I couldn't log in frequently because the connection had a timeout. Since it was a one-man-show, I guess the author simply didn't have the time to secure the forum appropriately.

Back