Ι am sad :(

Ok. For now I will stay in the version I am and I will be wait. I can live some time without logout. Do we have any idea when 10.1-RELEASE will be come out?

I've got another question. Sorry for off topic.
How often update -STABLE branch; rebuild kernel, base system and world? Once per month, once per six months or when 11-STABLE will show up on FreeBSD servers?
I know, I can update -STABLE branch every week for the newest revision number, but it's stupid. I need reasonable time when doing update.

I ask because I don't want complications in future. Thanks.

sKa said:
How often update -STABLE branch; rebuild kernel, base system and world? Once per month, once per six months or when 11-STABLE will show up on FreeBSD servers?
I know, I can update -STABLE branch every week for the newest revision number, but it's stupid. I need reasonable time when doing update.

Do not go to STABLE if you are not ready to compile the world and kernel. Once you moved to STABLE ... forget about freebsd-update. How often you will sync and rebuild ... it is up to you. If you plan to sync up and rebuild on every RELEASE ... it is better to stay with RELEASE and freebsd-update.
I`m happy with once per month sync up, btw. :i

deflected said:
sKa said:

Do not go to STABLE if you are not ready to compile the world and kernel. Once you moved to STABLE ... forget about freebsd-update. How often you will sync and rebuild ... it is up to you. If you plan to sync up and rebuild on every RELEASE ... it is better to stay with RELEASE and freebsd-update.
I`m happy with once per month sync up, btw. :i

Yes, I know about lack of freebsd-update possibility on -STABLE.
So, I think, I'll stay on -STABLE and will be sync sources, rebuild kernel, base system and world every six months, as on Gentoo Linux. It's reasonable, I think. Updating from sources is very boring, but I like it, hehe. Cheers.

And thanks again.

We have progress! Today I installed audio/audacity to check if my microphone works. And is working! Just like that! I just on microphone I choose dsp1 mic, I record my voice and I hear it :) Is just amazing :)
So for now:
-Microphone is working
-Intel HD 4000 working
-Sound is working
-Lan ethernet is working
-Logout not working
-Touchpad is working
-Synaptic touchapad working but I don't know who to configure it yet
-Camera working but manually every time because cuse4bsd won't load buring boot
-hdmi not tested
-Intel Centrino wifi not working / not tried yet to do it work
-FN keys for audio, touchpad on/off, screen on/off and brightness is working
-FN key for mute is not working
-Brightness is semi working. Change a lot of times during boot before go to 100%
-Touchscreen not tested
-Laptop dvd drive is working and recognized from sysutils/xfburn
-Bluetooth not tested
-Sdcard not tested
-Suspend / resume. Suspend but on resume just reboots.

I changed from Mate Desktop Environment to x11-wm/dwm.
Is much easier to work with key combinations on a laptop because touchpad never suited me
Finally on dwm for some unknown reason just don't want to change font. Always insist on default. Colors etc changed.

Ps: Now I realized that I use FreeBSD more that 4 years :)

We have progress. Before some minutes I tested hdmi out. I have screen. No audio until now. I will try to fix this but first I try to fix my keyboard to have also option for greek.
If I will made it to make everything to work on FreeBSD, I will be very happy :)

Has anyone any idea when FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE will be released? I have very big problem with logout and with my wireless and I wait to fix them.

sk8harddiefast said:
Has anyone any idea when FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE will be released? I have very big problem with logout and with my wireless and I wait to fix them.

Sometime between now and the end of the year I would think.

I updated to CURRENT and yes! Now Intel wireless is up and running :) Yes. I know that is CURRENT and is buggy but I need a workable laptop.

And yes! Now newcons and logout works! Also Mute was not working so I add a custom keyboard layout for mute and now it's working this too :)
Now only 3 things left.
Brightness configuration.
Wireless configuration.
Synaptics configuration.
But I feel that I start having a workable laptop :)

It’s nice and encouraging following your progress!
sk8harddiefast said:
Also Mute was not working so I add a custom keyboard layout for mute and now it's working this too :)
Could you please share how did you do that?

Using Mate Desktop Environment, I went to Control Settings, Keyboard Shortcuts and on Section Sound, on Mute I gave FN+F1 and worked :)
If you don't use a Desktop Environment, you should find a program for keyboard shortcuts, find the right shortcut for mute and put the command into /home/user/.xinitrc

Thank you, I was thinking more of enabling the Mute and Volume buttons present in the keyboard when using Openbox. I have to do my homework then… ;)

Back