Hyper-V and FreeBSD

Re: running 11-CURRENT on Hyper-V, working fine

lopezi said:
lopezi said:
After trying 10-ALPHA and 10-BETA1 and subsequently scanning through the mailing lists I decided to try 11-CURRENT.

I started with snapshot FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-20131015-r256489 and then "upgraded" (compiled the newer kernel) to FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-r257506. With the snapshot build I loaded kde4 and managed to get a working, usable desktop environment. I even managed to get xrdp working so I can use mstsc/RDP to connect into the VM.

Under 11-CURRENT I had to compile everything from ports (I was using it before the announcement of packages being available) and had a few minor snags that I was able to work through. To upgrade the kernel snapshots, I basically followed the instructions as laid out in the FreeBSD Handbook.

I had been running FreeBSD-11.0-CURRENT-amd64-r257506 for quite some time while also updating my ports periodically. I encountered the Java related kernel panic while trying to update any port that looked at Java. I noticed that there was a fix in the newer kernel. Yesterday (Jan. 4, 2014) I pulled down the source (I don't remember exactly which revision). In any event, after compiling and installing the kernel per the handbook directions I had followed previously, I am presented with a kernel panic upon reboot. I decided to pull down the latest VM images for 11.0-CURRENT and try to at least boot with one of them. To no avail. I tried all the VM Images that were in the 11.0-CURRENT branch and each one gave me a kernel panic upon boot. After this I decided to try the FreeBSD-10.0-RC4-amd64-20131231-r260130.vhd VM image that was available. For whatever reason, this one does boot successfully.

Have there been any changes related to Hyper-V code in the 11-CURRENT branch that is way "different" than what is provided in the 10.0-RC4 branch? The pull I did from SVN to upgrade my 11.0-CURRENT kernel should have had whatever "changes" that were available to the 10.0-RC4 release, or is the 11.0-CURRENT really that far off from the 10.0-RC4 branch?

I was able to reboot my VM by referencing kernel.old from the boot loader prompt. I made a /boot/kernel.try directory and copied the kernel.old directory contents into it.

On a gamble, I took the "newly compiled" Hyper-V modules from /boot/kernel and copied them into kernel.try. I rebooted with kernel.try and it worked, so I'm guessing the "newly compiled" Hyper-V modules work ok.

So I'm also going to guess that the kernel panic I received trying to boot the newly compiled kernel from source must be related to something else. Unfortunately I'm not sure where.

Back